Tesla still doing poorly on J D Powers survey

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by R P, Feb 21, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. To remove this ad click here.

2. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

And yet folks love their Teslas. They were the only manufacture on the Consumer Reports list a few weeks ago to get a green rating in satisfaction.

3. Well, if you just paid a bunch for your Tesla, I think you are less likely to admit that you are not satisfied. That would make you look like a fool. With other manufacturers, people have higher expectations and are more critical of their cars.

Recoil45 likes this.
  4. marshall

I don't buy it.

5. marshall

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. Well, sure hope they get their reliability issues fixed before all the other car makers start selling more EVs. Currently, I think only about 2% of car sales in the US are EVs. That will change dramatically in about 5 years.

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

• $41,000 - $18,300 = $22,700 out of pocket cost
    • 693 days = 02/16/21 - 03/26/19 owned
    • 35,535 miles odometer
    • 51.3 miles/day
    There is a 'fool' in this thread ... the person who claimed "make you look like a fool."

Bob Wilson

9. Well, Bob, I am not calling you or anyone else on this forum a fool. I certainly haven't heard you admit that you are dissatisfied with your Tesla. But the J D Powers survey is what it is.

10. bwilson4web

JD Powers and Consumer Reports have their problems. Suggesting someone might not complain because of what they paid is poor practice. But I noticed one omission in my earlier posting:
    • $41,000 - $18,300 (Prius Prime trade-in) = $22,700 out of pocket cost
    Given the technical improvements, I am thinking about using the 2019 Model 3 as trade-in for a more recent version. Trading-in would give me ~20 miles more range, 250 miles, from the most recent measured 230 miles down ~4.2% from the original 240. As expected, the mileage decreased due to aging and a local cold snap.

Nothing will happen until I test Full Self Driving (FSD) to determine if I can walk away from the $6k paid. I also have lighter wheels and tires on the car and would want them swapped.

Bob Wilson

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. People are usually more likely to complain if they paid a lot, because their expectations are higher.

R P likes this.
  13. That's exactly right. Look at Land Rover's ratings. They are almost always at the bottom, except for when Tesla pushed them up to 2nd last the previous year.

14. What!!?? Does this mean you are not satisfied with your current car? And you want to replace it with something better just after 2 years ownership? I know you won't admit it, but your actions will.

As for battery range reduction in cold weather, of course. You of all people should understand that. I very much doubt your Tesla has had any meaningful battery degradation with your low mileage. My son's M3 has about double your mileage, and he hasn't noticed any reduction in range. That is one thing with his car, battery and drive train, that has worked well. But the rest,...

15. bwilson4web

As I posted earlier, I'm not stuck with one version and I still need to test FSD.
    Congratulations to your son. Too bad he doesn't post here.

The 2021 Model 3 has a heat pump and there is potentially single piece castings coming. These should further drive the cost down with improved performance. I have no problem with product improvement ... a signature of Tesla products.

Bob Wilson

16. He has looked at some of the Tesla owner forums for answers to some of his problems. But not much for him here. I have occasionally sent him something. However, this forum does not have a lot of useful Tesla info. I have seen a few people come on here with their problems, but then saw you question them (essentially chase them away) and tell them how good yours was. Not very helpful.

17. bwilson4web

That is OK. I follow the Tesla Owners group as their technical content is the best I’ve found.

We each have our respective rides and I prefer to post my Tesla experience. Curiously, it looks like non-Tesla owners are quick to post Tesla hostile, second and third hand reports ... and some take umbrage when a Tesla owner shares their experience. Citing dodgy sources does not an expert make. Having the product in hand replaces rumor and speculation with observation.

As for JD Powers, Consumer Reports, or even the Inside EV Friday team, bring money and I’ll consider them with a higher priority. But there is always SeekingAlpha too and they bring the same amount of money ... none at all.

Bob Wilson

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  18. Yeah, just saw that Tesla slipped again in the Consumer Reports survey. I consider CR to be the most credible of all the survey companies, because they are totally independent and don't have car manufacturers as clients like J D Powers does.
    https://www.consumerreports.org/cars-driving/which-car-brands-make-the-best-vehicles/
    But it again illustrates the problem Tesla has with quality and reliability. They better get it fixed in the next couple years, before the all the other manufacturers come out with their EVs. There will be real competition then.

19. bwilson4web

Actually, I prefer the EPA website, www.fueleconomy.gov:
    upload_2021-2-23_2-20-59.png
    The 2021 Std Rng Plus Model 3 has:
    • 4.2% greater range = (250 - 240) / 240 miles
    • -6.0% lower cost to operate = (0.78 - 0.83) / 0.83 cost per 25 miles
    Although the 2020 is more efficient and affordable than my 2019, the difference is not enough to cover the cost of upgrading. But as I mentioned, I want to test my $6k FSD. As for the five year warranty, there will be 1-2 years remaining in 2022-2023 which improves the trade-in value.

What surprised me:
    upload_2021-2-23_2-32-27.png
    The Time to Charge Battery:
    • -10.5% faster = (9.5 - 8.5) / 9.5 hours at 240V
    Of the spec changes, this is especially helpful for cross country driving. It means charging stops, especially maximum range, can save an hour. There aren't many maximum range segments in the SuperCharger network but it is nice to know they will be faster.

I fully understand that some buy a car as objet d'art but my cars work hard for a living. The non-EPA web sites don't bring money or a comparison of vehicle efficiency. You of course are welcome to pay whatever you wish. Personally, I'm cheap.

Bob Wilson

ps. These are four of the top five EVs. I omitted the "2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric" whose performance is worse than the 2019 model. No need to embarrass the competition who are 'de-evolving' their product.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  20. bwilson4web

With EPA test experience dating from 2005, I prefer their data rich sources. For example, they publish the roll down coefficents. These generate the power curve for all speeds.

Bob Wilson

21. bwilson4web

So I have to tradeoff:
    • 2019 warranty ends 2024
    • potential $7,000 tax credit in 2021-2022
    Looks like 2022-2023 would be a good window to trade-up my Std Rng Plus Model 3.

Bob Wilson