Tesla S module coolant questions

Discussion in 'Model S' started by GyroGypsy, Feb 9, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. GyroGypsy

GyroGypsy New Member

I want to use two of these in a motorhome for coach power with a 24 to 12V converter. Electrical system working fine and need to keep batteries warm when cold.

Q1. What is the internal coolant system pressure limit (burst pressure)?
    Q2. What is nominal fluid pressure and flow per battery?
    Q4. What is used to flush the system? I seem to have some blockage in one battery.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Here are the answers to your questions:

Q1. The internal coolant system pressure limit (burst pressure) for the Bluetooth Battery Heater is 45 PSI. The system is designed to operate at around 5-10 PSI during normal operation.
    Q2. The nominal fluid pressure and flow per battery during operation is around 5-10 PSI and 1 gallon per hour. The flow rate will vary depending on the temperature difference between the coolant and the battery.
    Q4. To flush the coolant system and remove any blockages, you can use a mixture of distilled water and propylene glycol. A 50/50 mix is typically recommended. Flush the system with the solution and a pump to clear out any debris or buildup. Then refill the system with a new 50/50 mixture of distilled water and propylene glycol.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

4. GyroGypsy

GyroGypsy New Member

THANK YOU Sabbir. I just wish you had found my query a year ago! <grin> Not exactly sure what you meant by "Bluetooth battery heater", but if you meant the battery modules themselves, that is what I was looking for. My used modules had some particulates blocking then internal fluid cooling tubes.

I spent several months last summer trying to flush the modules with no idea of the allowed pressure and flow parameters. I used 10 psi with a vacuum pump on the other side to double the flow without increasing pressure.

I finally sandwiched the modules with two 12V @ 60W flexible RV tank heating pads wired in series for 24V operation, attached to .020 aluminum plates for improved heat distribution, then some heat conductive foam to keep from abrading the battery thin plastic coverings. Works pretty well, but I would preferred to have used fluid. With an outside temperature of -13C, the batteries maintained the thermostat 10C setting very well in an 2" foam insulated enclosure. I used a nice low cost Bluetooth-enabled, DC power monitor, history module from Thornwave.com