Tesla Route Planner

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by dBdt, Jul 22, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. dBdt

dBdt Member

When the Tesla route planner is used to map a route from A to B, it asks for the vehicle model so that it knows the vehicle capacity. I assume it assumes something about driving speed to compute range. My question is, does it account for temperature, e.g., does it put it more charging stops in the winter?

Is there a way to see what the vehicle remaining range will be when arriving at the destination? Maybe that is constant in their calculations. If so what is it?

If Tesla's route planner doesn't do these things, does one of the others do it?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

The navigation route planner in my car (2019 Std Rng Plus Model 3) already knows what it is running on. What it does know is elevation changes so it has a graph showing the projected energy usage.

Knowing the elevation changes, it adjusts the slopes up or down as needed. Then as I drive the route, a second line is added to show if I'm meeting the projected energy budget. So I can adjust my speed and even make minor route changes to make sure I reach my destination.

Bob Wilson

4. dBdt

dBdt Member

Thanks. I should have said more clearly that I was referring to tools used outside the car, so I was looking at the route planner web page. I'm happy to learn about in-vehicle, too! I wonder if the off-vehicle route planner is doing as much as what in-vehicle is doing? I'd hope so. I'm still not sure if temp is being considered, though.

5. bwilson4web

When planning a trip, I use 'PlugShare' that has a trip planning option. This allows me to include: (1) SuperChargers; (2) Distribution Chargers, and; (3) J1772 as needed. The last two are used to find hotels/motels where I can get a free, overnight charge. It is also flexible planning the route.

As for weather and elevation changes, that is my responsibility. There are too many random events that "The best laid schemes o' mice an' men / Gang aft a-gley."

Bob Wilson

6. dBdt

dBdt Member

Do you have a rule of thumb for how much you degrade range for temperature?

I wish I knew state of charge / range at end of trip. In one case, I'm look at a drive to go backpacking, so that car will sit idle and then there's the trip back. My guts tell me that the trip planner is stopping me at the trailhead in a low state of charge. I added a return leg to the planner so that it isn't one-way, but the recharging doesn't occur in the loop until the return leg, so I do need to wonder if it is parking me with low charge.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. bwilson4web

Assuming you pre-condition the car, the range decreases proportional to the air density:
    http://www.engineerstudent.co.uk/density_of_air.php

[​IMG]
    But you also need to pay attention to cabin temperature. Efficient EVs will use some of the waste heat but a heat pump rules supreme.

The in car route planner lets you know. As for PlugShare, just do a peak charge before heading to the parking area. In the meanwhile, look for NEMA 14-50 outlets as they can provide L2 level speeds, +31 miles/hr. A 110 VAC outlet will add about 5-6 miles/hr.

Bob Wilson

9. dBdt

dBdt Member

I appreciate your replies, but am growing frustrated at not being able to ask my question clearly: I would like to assess this at my desk, not in the car. This is for pre-trip planning. This is partly pre-purchase "does it work for me" scenario analysis. In one case, I am looking at a common backpacking trip we do and wondering if the vehicle can do this. I will be driving to the middle of nowhere. I know from the route planner there aren't chargers at or near the destination. I need to work out the logistics at my desk before I go to assess whether the gasoline vehicle will be used or, as pre-purchase, whether this is a hint that the long range option would be desired.

So, while I'm glad to hear about in vehicle options, I really do hope to hear whether end of trip state of charge can be estimated with tools at my desk. I know I can always take their route, know my starting range and then sum up all the deltas along the route per the suggested charge times, but it would be nice if the tool would do it for me since it knows its own charger network and the capabilities of each waypoint.

Maybe your message to me is that you don't do pre-trip planning, the network is that good. You just get in your car and go and never run into logistics problems. Is that the message I'm supposed to be hearing? Even for driving to remote, out of the way places in the midst of national parks? That would be great if that's the message! I do appreciate your replies. Many thanks.

10. bwilson4web

Can you share GPS coordinates of where you are going and a starting address?

Bob Wilson

11. dBdt

dBdt Member

Here are a couple of test cases:
    1. 42.46450377865909, -71.33847203706098 to 44.11976896835354, -71.68096588204136 The second coordinate is a parking lot near a hiking trail. So, the car would sit there for, say 3 days, and then need to return to the starting coordinate.

2. 39.02853627101896, -77.07398217301343 to 40.78190845631624, -79.98826042472011 . The end point is a friend's house where only level 1 charging will be possible. The logistics need to handle a return trip after staying for a couple days.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. bwilson4web

I just did the first one:
    Remember, I'm a Tesla fan:
    upload_2021-7-25_1-46-6.png
    • find the PlugShare location using the common name
    • Select the types of connectors an EV might use:
      • J1772 - any of the three would add ~30-32 miles per hour
      • SuperCharger - one would easily charge adding +200 miles in an hour
    • Zoom out until charging locations are identified.
    One caveat, Plugshare wants a common name as I did not find how to enter GPS notation.

Bob Wilson

14. dBdt

dBdt Member

Thanks, Bob. Much appreciated.

15. dBdt

dBdt Member

Bob, I just used your referral code. Thanks for answering my questions.

16. bwilson4web

Looking forward to your delivery posting.

Bob Wilson