Tesla reduces its price on model 3 in Canada

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Yves Laurin, May 1, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Yves Laurin

Yves Laurin New Member

Starting today in Canada the federal gouvernent is adding a rebate of 5000$ on electric car. But there is a catch; base model has to be lower than 45,000$ and the purchase car should be less than 55,000$.

So Tesla reduces its price on model 3 in Canada to take advantage of the federal rebate, but in oder to do that, they had to put a smaller battery pack and the range is limited to 150KM (94 miles).

Do not know if they really removed some batteries or if it is limited by software, in which case people could pay to have more range!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Saren

Saren New Member

The problem with this M3 SKU is that it's RWD. While that might be OK in some places it certainly is not OK for the harsh snowy winters Canada has been experiencing.

If this SKU had an AWD option I would jump on it in a heartbeat. Shame.

4. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

The consensus of industry watchers seems to be:

1. The Canadian "Short Range Minus" (my label, not Tesla's) battery pack is a software limited SR+ pack, same as the pack in the U.S. base $35k Model 3

2. The SR- (again my label, not Tesla's) Model 3 can be upgraded to a full SR+ for a price, either before or after purchase

3. Tesla does not expect to sell many of the SR- units; they offered this crippled version only so the Model 3 will qualify for Canada's EV incentive, and won't be actively promoting sales of that trim level.

I'm not claiming all this is established fact. But my educated guess, based on what Tesla has done in the past, is that it's all true.

bwilson4web likes this.
  5. brulaz

brulaz Active Member

Not so. Front wheel drive is great when you have a heavy engine in the front. But not at all necessary when the weight is spread over the middle or rear of the vehicle. RWD is fine in this situation and often better (no torque steer).

But you will want all-weather or winter tires in the winter.

bwilson4web likes this.
  6. To remove this ad click here.