Tesla PLAID and MINI SE

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Jim In Tucson, Sep 20, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

One of my neighborhood friends is also the local Tesla fanboy. He just got a new PLAID, so we decided to trade rides yesterday and do a ‘comparison’ test. I mentioned photoshoot so fanboy wanted to include his M3 Performance.

I will admit that I was very impressed by the PLAID. It handles more like a really large sports car than a 4,800 lb. sedan. The 1.2 G’s of acceleration is definitely exhilarating. However, the M3 is definitely the more nimble of the two.

The PLAID is fanboys sixth Tesla. I think he still owns four of them, as well as an electric pickup truck. And, he has Tesla solar and Powerwall.

I wanted to do a drag race, but we had three cars and only two drivers. Maybe another time.

After a series of test drives ‘in Mexico’ we both agreed that the ideal combo would be a MINI SE for in town driving and a PLAID for road trips. I guess I better start saving up!

IMG_4036.JPG

IMG_4038.JPG

IMG_4040.JPG

IMG_4039.JPG

IMG_4041.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

Nice! How comfortable was the Plaid on the highway?

4. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

Way too comfortable. I will forever be spoiled. I think the extra weight certainly helps to give it a solid and well planted feel. It definitely hides the imperfections in the road surface much better than the SE. The downside is that we have no Autobahn where the PLAID could truly excel.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

5. F14Scott

F14Scott Well-Known Member

Yeah, even our TM3 is pretty great on the highway and in a straight line. But, here in downtown Houston, we take Jessie the SE almost every time we go out. Her nimble zippiness and tiny parking profile make her the ride of choice.

GetOffYourGas and MichaelC like this.
  6. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Great for the photos that all 3 cars were (mostly) white. I know which one I'd choose and it's name doesn't begin with a "T."

I was surprised when I ordered my ELEKTRO license plate last year that no forward-thinking Michigan Tesla fanboy had taken PLAID.

That incredible PLAID acceleration (everyone knows the name came from the "Spaceballs" movie, right?) might be exhilarating but I imagine hitting the speed limit in under 3 seconds, would become hum-drum not long after you finished terrifying all your friends. My SE is the quickest car I've ever owned and IMO its handling will never get boring.

I love that our local area is getting more and more roundabouts. When there's no other traffic, they can provide 3 seconds of fun (full lap) that I wouldn't trade for 0-70 mph in 3 seconds.

Todd Swift and GetOffYourGas like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Novadar

Novadar Active Member

Haha. You wrote "M3" and I kept looking for a picture of a BMW.

9. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

When I heard the SE was speed-limited to 93 mph I thought, "I never go that fast, no big deal." But I find myself not paying attention and quickly accelerating uncomfortably close to that when getting on freeways. Is ridiculously-fast acceleration the "muscle car" thing to have for EVs?

Todd Swift and MichaelC like this.
  10. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Yeah, I hate having to flash my brake lights right after I get onto the freeway even when there's no traffic in front of me.

polyphonic likes this.
  11. teddybare

teddybare Member

Yes this is the one thing i am always conscious of ..i have mine defaulted to sport which gives the more zippy feel on the pedal but you find yourself backing off so quick and then people think your an awful driver :(

polyphonic likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.