Tesla Network numbers

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Kosh, Nov 27, 2017.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Kosh

Kosh New Member

Has anyone done an estimate on just how much an owner could make using an automated Tesla Model 3 and the "Tesla Network" ? I know I know... results vary by region. But how about estimates of how many trips you need to get and how much revenue they would generate? Are we talking "made my payment in full while I was at work" this week? Or in a month?

Also, anyone know if you'd be able to limit the hours? Say let the car be shared from 8:30 to 11:30, and back in time for you to go to lunch?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. It's very difficult to determine, since it depends on information that either isn't released or varies greatly by location.
    My best guess is that it will be similar to what an Uber car brings in, given the location and times of operation.

4. Cypress

Cypress Active Member

PNW
    And what will using your car as a sharing service do to your insurance rates? And wear and tear on the vehicle, the extra costs of service and maintenance? Costs to keep it clean? Replacing tires, etc, etc.

5. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

These are all very good questions, and so far we have zero data points.

I can see there might be a case for ride sharing if it's handled like Airbnb, with a lot of communication between renter and car owner before the fact, to make sure both parties have a very clear understanding of what is expected. I'm far, far less sure that people offering their car to any random stranger who clicks on a cellphone app to rent the car, are going to be pleased with the results.

As I see it, at best you're going to be wearing out your car faster, putting more miles on it than you would otherwise, just for a short-term benefit of rental fees. Is that really going to pay off in the long term? Or with the increased cost of insurance* and maintenance, and the increased depreciation on your car, are you actually going to be losing money in the long run, while running the daily risk of your car not being available when you want it, and also the risk of the car showing up with stains and scuffs on the upholstery and/or vomit in the carpet?

One thing is certain: If I owned a new car as nice as a Tesla (either Model 3 or Model S/X), I would be very, very reluctant to rent it out to anyone. Anyone at all.

*For using your car for commercial purposes, by renting it out

Now, to those whose motive for renting it out is to proselytize EV driving, to give as many people as possible the chance to drive a compelling BEV, then more power to them! But I am rather skeptical that those choosing to rent out their car to earn income from it, are going to be happy with the results for long.
    -

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    Jtodrive and Cypress like this.
  6. Cypress

Cypress Active Member

PNW
    Precisely. That’s where dedicated fleets owned by a private company probably makes more sense. Possibly one of the rental chains will have the foresight to start offering that kind of service.

Jtodrive likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Jtodrive

Jtodrive New Member

9. Jtodrive

Jtodrive New Member

I would agree with you in most would not like the damage from people whom consider the car (a rental) therefore don’t care for it, it’s not theirs! Also not familiar with how it drives, responds or the physical space it takes on the road! Result dings, scratches, slices in apolstrey from their kids day, etc!

10. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

This is an important point. There is a lot of argument over whether the Model 3's minimalist controls -- nearly all buttons, knobs, levers, and hardware switched eliminated in favor of touchscreen controls and some thumbwheels on the steering wheel -- is a better approach that traditional car design, which uses a separate knob, button, switch, or lever for each individual function.

But one thing is certain: A brand-new driver of a Tesla Model 3 is faced with somewhat of a learning curve in figuring out how to operate the car. If the Model 3 really was an autonomous, fully functional self-driving car, that wouldn't be a problem. But it's not, and it's not going to be for at least a few years. In the meantime, not only isn't the Model 3 the best choice for a rental... it may be just about the worst choice.

Wow, I'm starting to sound like a cranky Tesla hater! :) But consider this: When a Model 3 is delivered to a new owner, a Tesla tech is there to explain how everything works -- or at least the most commonly used functions. What will replace this experience for someone renting the car? I suppose there will be videos for them to watch, but human nature being what it is, many or perhaps most people renting a Model 3 thru a ride-sharing service probably are not going to take the time to watch all the videos they would need to fully understand how to operate the car.

Many Tesla owners say that after they get used to the controls, it's actually easier to operate the controls in a Tesla car than in traditional cars. I have no doubt that's true. But here we are talking about people faced with their first driving experience with a Tesla Model 3 -- and presumably, since they're renting the car, they would have nobody else in the car to help them with unfamiliar controls.
    -