Tesla Model 3 emissions vs RAV4

Discussion in 'General' started by Cypress, Jun 24, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. To remove this ad click here.

2. DSnow

DSnow New Member

At 20,000 miles driven the EV takes the lead in lower emissions using the national average for electricity production. I’d like to see the numbers adjusted for charging at home with solar power. I suspect the EV would then be better by 5,000-10,000 miles.

3. ENirogus

ENirogus Active Member

4. ENirogus

ENirogus Active Member

They are comparing total ownership costs with a Model 3 [starts at 40k] and a RAV4 [starts at 26k]
    I don't know who's numbers they are using on the starting CO2 value, and whether those have been vetted

5. I don't want to pay the WSJ to get behind their paywall, but do they look into the question of what creates the electricity, and how do they compare that in different locations? If the electricity to run an EV in one location is produced via hydro and in another location is produced via coal, the impact on the environment will be different from day 1 (even if EVs are more energy efficient in general, in the long run).

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. Bob, I understand and agree, but (without seeing the WSJ article) I hope that it's as clearly stated in the WSJ article......the WSJ has better public exposure than the Union of Concerned Scientists ;)

R P likes this.
  8. EVs are better than ICE, but no question hydro is better than nat gas and a lot better than coal. The real challenge will be how places like California will be able to handle the expected increase in EVs and electricity usage over the next 10 years. Their current infrastructure can't handle today's demands.

We are much better off in Canada with our abundance of hydro power in BC, Manitoba and Quebec.

I am also a bike rider, and really appreciate the quiet whoosh of an EV going by vs a noisy, smelly sports car or truck.

9. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

At one time, I subscribed to the WSJ but after Murdoch, the quality of their articles took a strong, right-wing bend away from facts and data. I dropped the subscription yet still get solicitations.

Everyday of the week, commercial broadcast TV runs advertisements that we know are false. Our First Amendment allows almost unlimited publication of lies ... although Rudy Giuliani recently learned lawyers have ethical boundaries.

Pick your sources carefully as some are as accurate as any user posting in a forum. Personally I think believing a lie is punishment enough.

Bob Wilson

10. To remove this ad click here.

11. brulaz

brulaz Active Member

MIT has a nice tool for this
    carboncounter.com
    It allows extensive customization of prices and lifetime emissions depending upon where you live and your assumptions (or beliefs:))