Tesla factory tour

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by bwilson4web, Aug 23, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

A tour of the Model X production line:

I've been through the Toyota factory tour in Georgetown KY, twice, and the Honda plant in Lincoln AL. One early impression, the Toyota and Honda factories didn't have cardboard boxes near the production lines. In contrast, the Fremont tour showed an area where subassemblies are put together near the lines from parts in cardboard boxes.

This matches one lay report that the factory is cluttered as cardboard boxes have a dust and fire hazard (not that factories are flame proof.) The recent Fremont fire was in the cardboard box crushing area. In one GE factory, the parts were put in pick-bins in the table area and the cardboard boxes removed by the delivery team. I also got the impression from the Toyota and Honda plants that parts and subassemblies are shipped in pick bins and hangers which are returned to vendors. I know the Georgetown plant takes pride in no landfill and waste water quality issues.

I wish the video was more about the machines and lines and less on Elon and Marques chatting. For example, factory robot carriers are not really new but time was wasted on them instead of seeing more line and frame assembly areas.

One takeaway is Fremont has 10,000 employee which makes commuting a problem. There is a new BART station and they encourage car pooling and shuttle buses. The previous employment was 5,000.

Regardless, a nice video although not as instructive as I might have wished.

Bob Wilson

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

I guess I don't see a problem with the cardboard boxes.

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

I'm not sure it is a problem as much as different than other factories I've been in. They usually try to keep it away from the line. But I'd have to see video from a time and motion study to see if there is a problem.

Bob Wilson

5. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member