Tesla and Leaf approaching each other

Discussion in 'General' started by bwilson4web, Oct 19, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Subject to change and shamelessly copied from different sources:
    Code:
    Model 3 mid-range $45,000 260 mi
    Chevy Bolt        $36,620 238 mi
    Leaf S            $36,000 225 mi

Bolt - from Wikipedia
    Leaf S - from Electek
    Model 3 mid-range - from Jalopnik

But this begs the question: does Tesla need a $35k Model 3?

Yes because Tesla has its own battery factory and can do volumes 5-10x higher than the others.

IMHO, the priorities should be focused on higher margin vehicles and markets:
    • Trade-war China - export Tesla technology and sell to the world
    • Large trucks - fewer units with high margins
    • Pickups - gut the last profit centers of major USA manufacturers
    Bob Wilson

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

I missed the edit window to point out this is not a comprehensive, requirements analysis because it lacks:
    • Dynamic cruise control and automated emergency braking - it doesn't have to be the top-end like autopilot but enough to be a driver assist (aka., TSS-P equivalent.)
    • Charging networks for SuperCharger, CHAdeMO, and/or CCS.
    • Incentives such as Federal and State tax credits and rebates.
    • HP and weight which gives a rough clue to acceleration in traffic.
    Bob Wilson

4. DaleL

DaleL Active Member

At this time, the Bolt is the only EV car of these three which actually exists and can be purchased. The Leaf is coming sometime in the future, a year or two probably. Tesla can certainly manufacture a $45,000 Tesla 3, but does that indicate that the pent up demand for the $50,000 long range 3 is about to be satisfied? Honda and GM have entered into a technology and battery sharing agreement. GM expects to increase in battery power density by 50% within two years and reduce the cost per Kwh. As a result, by the time there is a 225 mile Leaf, there is likely to be a 360 mile Bolt and a 75 mile EV Clarity PHEV on the horizon.

The advances in EVs is exciting, but ICE vehicles are going to dominate for decades to come.

bwilson4web likes this.
  5. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

Look at it this way: Tesla is now offering a slightly lower cost "Mid Range" Model 3, while also eliminating the RWD (Rear Wheel Drive) version of the LR (Long Range) Model 3. Going forward, for the LR version, only dual motor versions will be available.

I argued in comments to the IEVs news article that this does indicate Tesla needs to prop up demand by offering a different and slightly lower-cost option. But as others commenting on the article pointed out, it looks more like a tradeoff... closing one door while simultaneously opening another. On further reflection, I have to agree with them.

So I'm not sure what the overall gain to Tesla will be, other than possibly to eliminate the version which actually gives a slightly higher real-world range than the top trim level Model 3. That is, the RWD version actually has slightly higher energy efficiency than the dual-motor version... which is the opposite of the situation with the Models S and X. I can see why Tesla wants to eliminate any situation where a lower trim level version of the Model 3 is seen as better performing than a lower trim level version. That is, "performing" in the broader sense of how well a machine performs its intended function, not in the narrow sense of "performing" as in a "high performance car".

A few have suggested that the reason for the change is to let Tesla sell more cars with a limited battery supply. I don't personally think that's the case; recent reports suggest that Panasonic's cell production at the Gigafactory is well able to keep up with Tesla's demand. But it's possible they are correct on this.

6. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

So I'm not so sure you are using the correct prices in your comparison. To get the close to the same standard features that a Tesla has, don't have to add three to four thousand dollars to the Bolt LT and Leaf S?

On top of the base feature issue is safety. we have seen some pretty nasty wrecks with the Model 3 and folks seem to be surviving. How does the Leaf and Bolt compare?

bwilson4web likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Jimmy Truong

Jimmy Truong Member

Seriy? Who pays $45k for a FWD car? I rather push a RWD than drive a FWD car...

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Domenick likes this.
  9. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

Nobody is talking about a FWD (Front Wheel Drive) Tesla car, Jimmy. Tesla offers single-motor RWD (Rear Wheel Drive) cars and dual-motor AWD (All Wheel Drive) cars.