Tesla’s CCS adapter is finally coming

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Novadar, Oct 8, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Novadar

Novadar Active Member

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

My guess is it will depend somewhat on BMW to update our cars to perform the initialization handshake. Access to the Superchargers will be a game changer for me. Fingers crossed!

4. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

If Tesla does the adapter right, the MINI shouldn't be able to tell the difference between a supercharger and a regular CCS charger (so no input from BMW/MINI needed!)

5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Wait--did I read that Electrek story wrong? For Europe Tesla makes cars that have CCS connectors. This story is about an adapter that allows Teslas that have Tesla connectors to use CCS connectors, right? I didn't see anything about an adapter for non-Tesla cars with CCS connectors to use Tesla Superchargers.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  6. Carsten Haase

You didn't miss anything from the article but Elon Musk had previously tweeted (not exactly a reliable source) that Tesla was planning on opening the supercharger network for all EVs. The assumption is they would be providing an adapter to make that work rather than reconfiguring all of their chargers and existing cars but it would be a different adapter than this one.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I wonder if having an adapter would be sufficient to garner Elon the big government bucks that will be flowing to companies serving the EV-charging public?

9. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

Actually, Elon tweeted that they are opening the superchargers to “other” EVs. He did NOT say “all” EVs. A lot of people are reading a lot into that statement that Elon did not say. I see pretty much no chance that any SE will ever charge on a supercharger, in any market. I’d love to be wrong though.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

10. Carsten Haase

Is there anything in the CCS standard to identify what brand car is charging? I guess they could require you to put your VIN into the Tesla app...

Anyways, if the point of Tesla opening the supercharger network was to get potential federal funding then they wouldn't be able to discriminate (maybe just charge more money for slow charge rates)

No matter what the intent of the tweet was, I'll believe it when it happens. Elon is bad at deadlines lol