Taycan good but not quite good enough

Discussion in 'General' started by 101101, Sep 4, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. 101101

101101 Well-Known Member

Price in is in the Tesla Roadster range or 2x the price of an S.
    It is also slower 0-60 and slower on top end
    It is down about 40% on range
    It is also heavier
    It has a mechanically more complicated design in that it retains a multi speed trans-axle which Tesla abandoned during the first Tesla because it didn't work as well and was more failure prone- Porsche tries to say it makes acceleration more linear but Tesla acceleration is already linear
    It lacks the auto pilot tech- which can't be discounted in an S competitor even if it is a drivers car
    And yes the dealers are an obstacle
    And the charger network isn't there and its tied up exclusively with that Shell effort that idiotically won't price according to electric rates and very likely wants to source from idiocy like natural gas- so it likely won't even be green.
    Its missing 1 pedal driving.

And aesthetically I don't think it quite hits the mark. I personally don't like the front or the back as much as some of Porches other designs. It bothers me that that care has a wider track in the front and I don't like all the switches on the steering wheel and I don't think that more screens is necessarily better and the analog on the center of the dash could be a nice touch but it doesn't look well executed.

I find the effort to give it artificial sounds kind of stupid, and very stupid that you can't switch that garbage completely off.

On the plus side presumably it will be better around the track than an S and do better at not getting winded. Presumably it has better braking that an S or performance 3. But I kind of wonder if it will have a bit of trouble against the Performance 3 a car that costs 1/3 as much. In theory it can charge quicker but it range hurts that miles per minute added and in convenience.

It is a good effort but it will be hindered by the mistrust of VW has a corporate criminal deserving of quo waranto in the mind of many would be Tesla buyers, and it will simply have a stigma of mistrust and a sense among many early adopters of irresponsibility through leaping to support the source of trouble with a purchase from an irresponsible trinket maker. It may find an audience with German nationalists and VW employees and with die hard Porsche fans that don't find electric anathema. I do like their electric soul campaign but much prefer Tesla's no ads approach because sponsorship is bribery and censorship and leads to a captured media that will cost you all of your human rights.

But this is just a warm up. Porsche will get it right next time or has the kind of shot Honda and Toyota might. But ICE heads can't even admit that Tesla outright killed hybrid Prius. They should not that Exxon is not in the top 10 of the S&P 500 for the first time in 90 years even under Trump.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. David Green

David Green Well-Known Member

But its a Porsche, and that Trumps Tesla... Tesla is a 1 trick pony, and model S is such a clumsy car, poor handling, weak interior, and the highest rate of fires in any EV that I know of...

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Having a hard time finding anyone enthusiastic about the four-seat, Taycan.

Bob Wilson

5. SAronian

SAronian New Member

I love the car, even did a configuration @ $213K. But if I had the money it would go to Ferrari.

One possibility is major end-of-lease depreciation based on the not so future friendly range. We should see some on the used lots around January 2023.

bwilson4web likes this.
  6. David Green

David Green Well-Known Member

Same for me, love the Taycan's looks and performance, but too expensive. My reservation is going to get handed off to my buddies wife she is stoked and has more stomach for a $200k car. I am overall a cheapskate when it comes to personal transportation, our E-Tron will most likely be the most expensive car we ever buy.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Sorry, I was thinking of the usual EV 'talking heads' I follow. If money were no object (and I had a death wish,) I'd probably start with:
    [​IMG]

Bob Wilson

9. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member

If money were no object (and I had a death wish,) (and it was available,) I'd probably start with::);):cool::D
    [​IMG]

bwilson4web likes this.