Tapping power from mirror

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by ernda, Feb 24, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ernda

ernda New Member

Has anyone used mirror tap wires to tap power from the auto dimming mirror to power a radar detector or dash cam? Any advice? Are there three wires powering the mirror (red, green, black or other colors?) as reported in Honda Civic forums? Usually the red is power, the black ground and the other (green?) connects to the reverse gear to disable the dimming when in reverse. Is the Clarity any different?

Thanks

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. There are three wires (I can send you a picture) so you have both switched and reverse. my rcollection is I'm using the two passenger side wires to have it switched with the ignition

Eventually one hopes that car companies provide I switched and unswitched USB on the headliner with low battery protection and preferably a
    either USB all the way to the back oror U power for a rear dash cam. In my old Subaru I tapped into the cigarette lighter power connector on the cargo area and used it to power a dash cam on the rear window. I want to do the same thing in the clarity, but we've got no power back there ar far as I can see (if anyone had found a solution that doesn't involve running s wire from the front, let me know)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    Stan-O and ken wells like this.
  4. The Gadgeteer

The Gadgeteer Active Member

It would be nice if car manufacturers could leverage the already existing backup cameras and other sensors and give car owners a way to download this data.

5. Tesla has this capability (at least for the front). Not sure any of the rear cameras are designed for continuous use https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-dashcam-autopilot-cameras-first-look/

6. To remove this ad click here.