Swapped my 12 Volt battery yesterday

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by FloridaSun, Apr 25, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

When my Hyundai dealer did all the recall work (other than battery replacement), they told me that my 12 Volt battery was no longer under warranty as the 12 Volt battery warranty is limited to 36000 miles and I'm at 50000 miles.. So, I went to Costco yesterday to get a better battery.. Didn't want to go with the same crappy one.. I will have to modify the battery tray a little to make it fit perfectly.. There are some little plastic fins at the edge (left and right of the battery). The original battery is about 1/2 inch narrower and the fins are there so it won't move sideways. I will grind down those little fins as the Costco battery used the entire battery tray width.. Right now, I found a temporary way to secure the battery but once the fins are ground down, the battery will fit perfectly. The only difference is that you won't be able to use the plastic cover for the negative terminal. INTERSTATE BATTERIES, GROUP 96R STANDARD 36. $96.99

Pobre, apu and Seadog1272 like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. FloridaSun

Just did it.. Twisted off the little fins with a pair of pliers and the new battery fits like a glove...
    20210425_203305.jpg
    20210425_203705.jpg
    20210425_203945.jpg
    20210425_204104.jpg 20210425_204109.jpg
    20210425_204346.jpg

java, Lars, BC-Doc and 4 others like this.
  4. FloridaSun

The original battery is crap. Too many people have issues with them.. I measured the tray and it turned out that without the little fins, the size of the Costco battery would be a perfect fit. 5 minutes of work and it fit like a glove..

Lars likes this.
  5. good. Was is the battery Amp stock and this new one? Should be higher ;)

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. FloridaSun

Stock had 400 Cold Cranking Amps and this one has 590 Cold Cranking Amps. Not a huge difference but the new one has slightly more CCA..

8. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

Ah, but is the new one the "calcium" type that can deal with the 14.8+ float voltage? It would
    be interesting to know if the LDC senses top-of-charge current and adjusts itself.

_H*

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
  9. You might mean "calcium" type?

10. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

Yes, edited. tnx

_H*

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. Pobre

Pobre Member

13. I doubt bluekona's new battery is the calcium/lead acid OEM version and I suspect the LDC is slightly overcharging his battery to 14.8V vs 14.1 for a regular lead acid battery, but in end other than a little more potential gassing not a huge deal. Incidentally my warranty replacement battery was just a plain Hyundai branded lead acid. Its been great, good riddance to the original calcium crap. I might try and pry up the cell caps on the new battery at some point to see if the water levels are ok.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
  14. A LiFePo will weight less and have more power but what for, except if you frequently leave open your door or have a fantom drain. I replaced a 12v battery on my leaf 2013 after 6 years.

So the question for me, will be, does the cost the this battery LiFePo will cost less down the road than replace 2 times 12v "normal". I think not. Will you keep this car this long?

Lars likes this.
  15. FloridaSun

It's a regular lead acid battery

16. I suppose if you don't have to deal with severe winter cold temperatures a LiPO of LiFePo with an appropriate built in BMS may be good options. Problem is the economics. Hyundai specs a 45 amp/hr 12V battery to get the equivalent in lithium tech result in a $500-700 battery. You can buy alot of lead acid batteries for that price. I see them being popular as aftermarket replacements for some Teslas but these Teslas usually have very difficult general accessibility for their 12V batteries. I could see a dead 12V battery in a Tesla being a major PIA. The Kona battery is super easy to replace.

Lars likes this.
  17. Recoil45

Recoil45 Active Member

Agree on this. Paying for a LiPo in this case is money poorly spent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lars likes this.
  18. Pobre

Pobre Member

I figured if its $500 per battery it is not cost effective. I do plan to keep the Kona EV till it gives up on me. I have really good deal on the main battery warranty here in California. "supposed to be" lifetime, so unless i total the car, I can theoretically pass my car down to my 8y/o child as her first car.

19. ReynoldReimer

ReynoldReimer New Member

Did you have to do anything to save computer memory before removing the old battery? For example, in the case of our hybrid Highlander, the manufacturer recommends doing that.

electriceddy likes this.
  20. Other than loosing a few minor settings (climate temp, radio presets etc) there should be no requirement to hook up a memory saver.
    If you want to be safe, there is a standby switch in the fuse panel (picture thanks to @hobbit ), you may need to use the mechanical key to re enter the car once the new battery is installed.
    Only post I have found of any recalibration requirements is this one kindly supplied by @KiwiME.

Last edited: May 14, 2022
  21. FloridaSun

I didn't save anything.. Just swapped the battery and all my settings were still set as they were before.

Lars, KonaAU and KiwiME like this.
  22. My little green/yellow? light on the front is coming on more than usual. The temp may have something to do with it or I may have a weakening 12V battery. It is not not 'winter cold' here yet, usually between -1 and +8. I see no impact on driving. The voltage is 12.1V while resting and 14.7/14.8V when the battery is being recharged by the HV pack.