Sun shades that aren't shiny on the outside?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by tinpanalley, Jun 18, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I need to get a sun shade for the windhsield of our Mini SE but our concern is that where we park outdoors, our car faces the 5 story building we live in and we definitely don't want our car flashing the sun into our neighbours eyes if they're on their balconies or in their apartments. I can't find any that aren't super shiny on the sun facing side. Anyone seen anything like this or can maybe recommend something else to block the sun?
    Thanks for any ideas!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    CoverCraft custom fit shade. Available in colors, definitely not mirror-reflective

4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

White is the least-reflective color I found on the CoverCraft sunscreen page. The other two colors are Chrome Camouflage and Galaxy Silver.

A windshield can reflect a significant amount of sunlight even without a sunscreen behind it. If you can't orient your MINI so it's not facing an apartment building, maybe a car cover is the best solution?

Imagine a row of cars parked facing a high-rise apartment building. The MINI Cooper with it's more vertical windshield would be reflecting sunlight into the lower-floor apartment windows while the more streamlined cars parked next to the MINI would be reflecting sunlight towards the higher floors. The wealthier, more influencial upper-level apartment dwellers would happily be less affected be the MINI Coopers in the parking lot.

Fortunately, the sun is never stationary relative to MINI Coopers parked near apartment buildings, so any reflection problem is always temporary.

5. Good points. Our building is only 5 stories and the outdoor parking where we are is essentially angled to directly face the building, annoyingly. I just know I would hate the reflection thing and I wanted to be conscientious.

Godfrey and insightman like this.
  6. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

Install it backwards

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. When I had my windows tinted, I asked the installer to use a clear ceramic film on the windshield. I don't use a sun shade, and it keeps the steering wheel, dash, etc. very comfortable in the hot Florida sun.

SameGuy likes this.
  9. SameGuy

YUL
    I chose the blue for both current cars as well as the dearly departed smart. It’s visible, but it certainly doesn’t project a beam of reflected sunlight.

10. It seems difficult to find something specifically suited to our SEs. Amazon seems to offer nothing that guarantees a fit. There's an econour one that has two large squares instead of a single piece and I wonder how well those will do the job.

11. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Well if you want to pony up $175USD you can get an Artistic Reflection one.

TheRock_IslandBlue_Blue_IslandBlueJack.1659578265.jpg

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

She made custom stripes for me. She is local to me in CO. Her work is top quality. A lot of folks in CO have nothing but praise for her products. Plus she is part of the Mini tribe.

MichaelC and SameGuy like this.
  14. SameGuy

YUL
    I think that’s only about double the regular price of the Covercraft shade, but it’s unique and you are supporting a local small business. Not a terrible investment in my opinion.

Qisl, MichaelC and insightman like this.
  15. Louis W

Louis W Member

The folding sunshade I got on amazon is a dull silver (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KIFITRM/). That said, while I think your consideration is commendable, I doubt glare is going to be an issue with your neighbors. The angles would have to be just right, and even then it's a fleeting problem because the sun is moving.