Strange behavior - hood & fuel door

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by RV-CAR, Feb 23, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. RV-CAR

RV-CAR New Member

I noticed that if I pop open the hood by pulling the level near the knee, the fuel door is opening up too. Do you see this?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

That’s a new one on the forum.
    Are you sure you didn’t accidentally brush against the fuel door button on the lower door panel when you reached down? I can’t see how the hood release would interact with the fuel door release since it’s purely mechanical and the fuel door release is by electric solenoid.
    If it really is then something’s rotten in thr state of Denmark and you need some warranty work.

4. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

I’ve accidentally opened the charging door with my left foot before. There is a cable down there, possibly a manual override or something that can open the charging door even if the button doesnt work. I haven’t looked real close but it’s obvious something is down there that I periodically kick and the door opens. So for your situation my best educated guess is that the cable is routed very close to the hood release lever and on your car the streams are crossed so to speak.

If you’re a good contortionist you can stick your head under the dash and watch what happenes when you pull the lever, might be obvious what is askew. If not take it to dealer and demonstrate and they’ll send one of their bendy guys down there to check it out under warranty for you.

5. David in TN

David in TN Well-Known Member

Or you can read about it in the owners manual. Page 563.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Inside EVs mobile app

insightman likes this.
  6. RV-CAR

RV-CAR New Member

In my case it is not the charging door but the gas fuel door. I know I am not imagining it as I heard the gas door pop open when I pulled the hood lever and was startled why that happened. I also know that I wasn't touching anything else.
    Anyway I tried it again one more time just now but could not reproduce it this time. Not that I want to open the hood often; I did it to see if my HV range issue gets fixed by disconnecting the battery (different thread, another issue still continuing).

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

The gas door doesn't just "pop open". There's a reason you have to hold the button down for a few seconds to open it. It's pressurized, and the car has to equalize that before unlocking it. If it's opening instantly, there's a problem.

9. RV-CAR

RV-CAR New Member

Yes I am aware of that as I put gas before and also read about it. The hood unlocked first and then the gas door opened. Needless to say I am going to monitor it and make it a point to check the gas door every time I get in/out of the car.

10. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

And the manual release for the gas fueling door is located in the trunk and nowhere near the manual release for the charging door under the dash. So mechanicallyspeaking, I don’t think they can get crossed which means your Clarity is either possessed or needs some warranty service.

11. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

Whoops. I misunderstood which door. Disregard my answer...

If it’s repeatable, showit to dealer and make a warranty claim. It’s not right obviously.

12. To remove this ad click here.