Storm Effects

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by John Lumsden, Sep 23, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. We were returning to Wellington from Hastings last Wednesday, with the Kona at 80% charged and enough range to get home. Outside air temperature was 14C. Not long after we got going the sky darkened and there was forked lightning, then hail (subsequently reported as "marble sized" in the media) This lasted 10 minutes or so. Half an hour later very heavy rain started to fall and the temperature was down to 4C. The road we were on is two lane and I was following a logging truck at a distance because I could see its rear lights and not much else, and nothing for a few seconds when a truck came the other way. There was water and spray everywhere, and surface flooding in the town of Dannevirke. I read the next day that around that time a tree in the town had been struck by lightning and had burned.
    The available range had dropped so we decided to stop at the next 50kW charger to add 10kWh or so, but before we got there an "FCA Disabled Radar Blocked" alert came on.
    When we arrived at the ChargeNet at Woodville an Ionic 5 was at 78% and soon was on its way. However when plugging in the Kona, it would not start charging and I got the message "Error: Communication setup timeout". After a couple of tries I decided to move on down the road to the next station at Pahiatua, 15kms away. The FCA warning was gone, and at Pahiatua the charging started without any problem.
    Could there be a connection between the rain and lighting and the FCA disabling and the plugging in problem? I'm inclined to think so since the problems went away some time after the storm, but I did need to charge up and would like to know what caused the issue

KiwiME and electriceddy like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I have had the FCA Diabled alert several times during heavy rainshowers but no issue charging (radar was no doubt blocked with large droplets). I suspect a little moisture got in your charge port, probably on the control pilot pin and negated charging ability, It probably dried enough after the second attempt allowing charging to commence. Nothing to worry about;)

John Lumsden likes this.
  4. If I recall I've seen that general error if I try and start charging on an ABB 50kW while the Kona is still in "Run" mode and also when the car's charge limit stops the session.

John Lumsden likes this.