Stop Charging - Gracefully

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by vicw, Jan 9, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. vicw

vicw Active Member

I always charge my Clarity late at night, at home, on a schedule, and let it run to completion. I've never used a commercial charge station or a friend's charger.

Today, after almost a year of ownership, since I was in and out during the day, I decided to touch up the charge, mid-day, and I stopped the charge via the HondaLink app when I had to leave again.

That raised a question - if I was charging in a remote location, and had to stop it, what is the safest or recommended way to do it? I wouldn't really want to just pull the plug with the charger actively working, and I don't think I could expect HondaLink to do the job, away from my home WiFi.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Honda Link is not WiFi; it’s cellular packet data so it works any where both your phone and car have a cellular signal and can therefore access Honda’s servers. And of course the servers must be up as well.
    Also, the J1772 connection protocol between EVSE and onboard car Charger is safe to unplug at any time. You can argue whether the engineers or the lawyers insisted on this, but it’s there.

ClarityDoc, insightman and lessismore like this.
  4. vicw

vicw Active Member

OK, now I think I know EVERYTHING about the Clarity, two days shy of its first anniversary. That beats all. I had no idea about the cellular packet. I had been chuckling every time I read a post suggesting that maybe Honda had performed an OTA, ala Telsa, and now it doesn't sound quite as impossible, even though I know it will never happen, unfortunately.

I also appreciate knowing that it's safe to pull that plug while charging. I was concerned about the potential of leaving the car or the charger in an unstable state by doing it, but apparently it's OK to do it. I think I'll continue to use HondaLink, though, now that I know I can.

Frankly, I was embarrassed to even ask such a dumb question, but it paid off big time. Thanks for that.

5. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

We unplug it all the time while it's charging. No problems

ClarityDoc likes this.
  6. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

When you push the unlocking button on top of the J1772 connector, it shuts off the power flow. So, when you pull the connector out, there is no sparking or surge or electrical connector issues. No problem connecting or disconnecting with power to the connector.

M.M., ClarityDoc and neal adkins like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Richard_arch74

Richard_arch74 Active Member

Help,
    I'm away from home, MI, (car is in an unheated garage) for awhile and my HL hasn't worked for the last 16 days. I'm going to get my neighbor to help me out with figuring the SOC, or EV miles to empty, I've lost in the last 16 days.

So. . . has anyone started the car while the (L1) EVSE is plugged into the car and not charging (so I can see my current SOC/MTE)? After spending time looking in the manual I can't see where they address that.

And, can you stop charging before 100% SOC (after you plug your EVSE into your car) without using the HL app or not pressing the button on the port side of the EVSE?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Inside EVs mobile app

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019