Still waiting to be able to drive at night!

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by HK64_L, Dec 30, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. HK64_L

HK64_L Member

I bought my Kona EV 64 Premium in December 2020 and was delighted with its performance. Just one (major) problem. Came the first evening drive - we are talking December - and I hit a major problem. Unknown to me when the car was first delivered from Peterborough, UK, the night-time display is virtually unusable. The background is totally black and roads are shown as faint dark green lines - almost invisible in the dark surround of the car's display. Following many many weeks of forum discussion and Hyundai online, I realised that my display does not include the options shown on other UK identical models. By then I had done two updates and there were no more.

I took the car to the local BsE dealer. Within 10 - 20 minutes he was exasperated. He confirmed that the options were simply not there. Hyundai has ordered a new replacement AVN unit. I cannot imagine how long that will take. This last week I had quite a lot of night-time short runs to make - not a load of fun with no visible SatNav after you have paid a considerable sum for the car that was clearly not checked properly before delivery.

Lawrence Harris

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I'm sorry, yet unsurprised by the slow response from Hyundai.

I have an older Lexus with poor map display graphics. As a "work around" I purchased a Garmin GPS with an adequate display.

Linked to my cellphone with the Garmin "Drive" app, it offers live traffic updates. It was supplied with a long USB cable, but wire management was my problem.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/612579

4. HK64_L

HK64_L Member

Hi
    Actually, I had completely forgotten that I can use my smartphone with a suitable mapping/guidance system instead. Thank you :)

Lawrence