Sticky back up?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by coutinpe, Sep 4, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

Usually when I start driving the car after releasing the parking brake and switch from P to R to back up from my parking garage/spot, the car would start moving without the need of pressing the accelerator pedal, instead having to press the brake pedal to control it. However, lately the car would not start moving unless I press the accelerator, and sometimes it seems to get stuck for a second. has anyone seen this?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Does it stick on level ground or only on an incline? Is your Clarity's Brake Hold turned on?

4. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

I agree it sounds like the car behavior when the Break Hold is on.

5. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

My routine is: 1) Press the brake pedal 2) Turn ignition on 3) release the parking brake 4) Switch gears from P to R 5) Slowly release the brake pedal and let the car back up. This is how I've always done it and I didn't have this problem before. Worse, it's intermittent. And no, I don't have the break hold on, as I only use it on the very rare occasions I'm in the line at Costco to put gas.

6. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

On slight inclines, like driving off my garage, which I always do in reverse. But it doesn't always happen.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

You've had your Clarity for quite a while, so I'm not surprised you had already considered the possibilities I suggested. [scratches head]

9. MarkClarity

MarkClarity Active Member

Is it getting stuck after getting wet? I had that where I would have to press the accelerator after parking overnight after a rainy day. I would also hear a clunk and then it would start moving.

The issue was the brake pads (on inside of front left) were sticking to the rotor and the rotor and pads had developed small grooves.

turtleturtle and Louis Nisenbaum like this.
  10. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

I think you're right. We had some wet days and also drove many miles under the rain from Phoenix to LV. It got pretty stuck when backing up after a stop in Kingman. But today with dry warm weather back in LV, it worked just fine.

insightman likes this.