Standard Clarity Compass?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Scottacus, Apr 7, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Scottacus

Scottacus New Member

When we bought our standard (non-touring) version of the Clarity the salesman said that the turn by turn screen on the instrument panel would show a compass. I've looked in the manual (paper version showed up in the mail yesterday) and there is a setting in vehicle that can turn off the "turn by turn" on the dash. Is this how you access a compass?

The reason why I ask is that Google Maps does not show a compass rose on it so when you get into a city that you are unfamiliar with all you know from the Google map is that you are heading down a road, just not which direction that road goes...

Daniel M W likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Daniel M W

Daniel M W Member

I have exactly the same question. I really miss the compass feature of my previous car, and I was told the same but I'm no not able to figure out how to make it work.

4. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Yes. On the DII you can select the compass. Use the Display/Information button to cycle through until you get to Navigation & Compass. Page 124 in thr manual.

5. Daniel M W

Daniel M W Member

Hello, and thanks for your answer.
    Unfortunately I don't know what I'm doing wrong or what's going on, but in my car this DII tab just shows the turn by turn instructions. The compass is never shown.
    Either with the phone connected or disconnected, navigating or not, this panel just show the step by step nav, and when not showing the instructions, just displays a message that says "turn by turn waiting for smartphone". (Even if you turn off this feature from the car setup). Any other advice will be appreciated. 20190107_224418.jpg 20190107_224418.jpg

6. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

What happens when you press the Display/Information Button? If the Display/Information Button won't cycle through the options shown on page 124 (as shown below), then perhaps there's a problem with your phone connection.

upload_2019-1-8_0-1-31.png

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Ray B

Ray B Active Member

Daniel M W and insightman like this.
  9. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

I just tried this on my Touring.
    I selected the compass icon in the DII and then set up a route on the on board Garmin GPS. I got turn by turn on the DII and the compass when it wasn’t giving me the next turn.

I then tried it with Waze on my iPhone plugged in the the Driver’s USB. I got Waze info and turns on the center display and compass on the DDI at all times.

Both gave me audio prompts, but only Waze gave me the compass at all times. And I can’t get the compass in my garage until the satellite icon stops flashing and the GPS acquires all it’s satellites.
    I’m not very good with this so please feel free to chime in if there are settings that I don’t know about or a better way to do this.

Daniel M W likes this.
  10. Daniel M W

Daniel M W Member

Uhmm... that explains why I'm not able to do it... and seems that I'm not going to have it :(. I also tried Waze and Google Maps, and turn by turn works perfectly but no trace of the compass. I'm going to do some research about it and if I get something, I will post it, if not, maybe I look for other options because I really miss the compass in the car (a little old fashioned?, maybe).

Anyway, thanks everyone for your interest in my doubt. Will keep posting any news any news, findings and questions about the car (I feel like a beta tester :) )

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019