Speaking of Firmware Updates - How Will They Happen?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by K8QM, Apr 5, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. K8QM

K8QM Active Member

Like many of the folks selling these cars our sales guy mumbled and stumbled through some of the questions I had, and how we would get a firmware update is one of those. He mentioned both getting thumb drives and bringing it to the dealer.

I found this on page 291 of the manual referencing "Honda App License Agreement": SOFTWARE Updates. The SOFTWARE and SERVICES may be updated when your VEHICLE is serviced by a DEALER or remotely, over-theair, by HONDA from time to time; such updates may occur with or without further notice or your future consent. The
    SOFTWARE may be updated at HONDA’s discretion and for any purpose including, without
    limitation, to patch or otherwise improve the SOFTWARE or SERVICES functionality, security,
    or stability. All updates to the SOFTWARE and SERVICES are subject to this AGREEMENT and any other applicable HONDA TERMS and PROVIDER TERMS.

I don't know if the firmware of the vehicle is considered an "App" by Honda or as I suspect this is just referencing the Infotainment system. Has anyone else got any solid information on the update process?

geo

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bfd

bfd Active Member

The reality of all these high-tech cars is that you are pretty much stuck with the technology you bought yesterday - and the longer you keep the car, the older it gets. Some software apps for the 'infotainment' pad may get updated, but don't count on wholesale OTA revisions to the car's software a la Tesla. And the dealer will likely charge - even for something like a map update - even if it does manage a software revision.

The Prius Plug-in I had before had the same "firmware" when I sold it as when I bought it. There were never any changes in 6 years. I decided to forgo the map update once I learned it was $250 plus the dealer labor charge. SMH. At least with Clarity, there's been some limited success reported using the Garmin app and a FAT formatted USB. (And even that format is already long in the tooth…)

I suspect that if there's some safety issue in the firmware for the car (not the Android pad or apps) then the mfgr would be liable to do the update. I doubt however, that Honda will ever get to the same place as Tesla regarding firmware and OTA updates to software during the lifetime of these cars, however.

4. loomis2

loomis2 Well-Known Member

Our 2013 Leaf had at least one software update, maybe two. I had to bring the car into the dealer to get it done. It always happened when I took it in for its yearly checkup and the mechanic would see the update was required on their computer. It was always free and I'm not totally sure what the update changed in the car.

K8QM likes this.
  5. kkiran

kkiran Member

Don’t we have map updates for 5 years with the Touring edition?