Sound system poor quality

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by MSimpsonNJ, Feb 7, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. MSimpsonNJ

MSimpsonNJ Active Member

Hi all - I just picked up my new Kona electric yesterday and LOVE driving it, the way it looks, etc. I have the Limited trim (I'm in the US) and my one nit is the sound system. Is it me or is the sound system in the Limited really poor quality? Mine is pretty below average. I'm interested in others thoughts and if anyone has done anything to upgrade it that worked well.

Thanks.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I have the premium. The sound system is great, but I believe it's different than the other models.

ehatch and Clamps like this.
  4. Here in Canada I guess my 2020 Preferred would be closest to your model, I got the Infinity system. I am no audiophile but it sounds pretty good with decent amplification.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Inside EVs mobile app

5. MSimpsonNJ

MSimpsonNJ Active Member

The Limited in the US is the middle trim and doesn't have the Infinity sound system, the HUD (don't really care about that), or the Smart Cruise Control (which looks really appealing to me but I did without). I was really disappointed in the lower level sound but I'm sure there are ways to upgrade it.

6. Usually it's just the speakers that are crap. Years ago I updated a soundsystem in a car just by swapping the speakers even with same size ones, but good ones. Made a huge difference.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Crutchfield supplies replacements, 56 types for the lower front doors and 105 for the rear doors. There are some pretty nasty high price ones sure to provide superior quality to the stock OEM speakers:
    https://www.crutchfield.ca/car/outfitmycar/mycar.aspx
    In my younger days, I probably would have been all over these:)

mho and Esprit1st like this.
  9. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

It is funny. My wife's car has a subwoofer, and I make her turn it off when I am in the car. I just find the constant rumble annoying.

Esprit1st likes this.
  10. The most annoying thing about subwoofers in a car is the snaring noise that the registration plate makes vibrating on the outside of the car.

EricP and Bill Carter like this.
  11. MSimpsonNJ

MSimpsonNJ Active Member

I'm hoping replacing the speakers will be enough to improve it. I'm with you, back in the day i would have been loading it up with the Crutchfield offerings as i could scratch the cash together. Today I just want it to sound somewhat clean - the OEM is incredibly muddy. Sounds like an old AM radio coming out of a 3 inch speaker (OK I'm exaggerating but it really is disappointing).

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. MSimpsonNJ

MSimpsonNJ Active Member

I now have had my Kona EV Limited for a month and the sound system in the Limited really does suck (It's not the Infinity system). Before I try replacing the speakers (it looks like a pretty easy thing to pull the door panels to get to them) has anyone done this in this car and if so was replacing the speakers enough to do the job? I'd hate to go through all that only to find that the issue is really the head unit.

Regarding the head unit, is it even possible to upgrade the head unit and still have it provide all the functions of the current system? That touch screen controls an awful lot besides the sound system and I don't want to lose any functionality by replacing the head unit of the sound system. If anyone has done this I'd love to hear about how you did it.

14. You can replace the speakers for better quality ones but honestly I don't think you will notice much of an improvement at the amount of relatively low powered signal the head unit produces by itself. Issue is not likely coming from the head unit but from the lack of an external amplifier that is likely present on the upgraded systems. I had a quick parts look up at non EV Kona's with upgraded factory systems and they do have a external amp as I suspected, its pretty pricey at around $700. With better speakers you are now looking at over $1000 assuming the stock wiring harness is even the same between models(probably). You might be better served with talking to a pro sound shop and see what your after market options are to possibly integrate to your existing head unit. You are right to assume you will loose some degree of functionality if you swapped to an aftermarket head unit. You would loose things like bluelink but more importantly ability to adjust charge control levels of the traction battery. New head units from the dealer are crazy expensive at around $2500. If you try to find one from a salvaged EV be aware the head units are likely software VIN locked and may need to be reprogrammed by the dealer if at all possible.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
    Esprit1st likes this.
  15. MSimpsonNJ

MSimpsonNJ Active Member

Thanks Apu for the detailed and helpful response (and your effort in looking all this up!). I think I'll take it somewhere and see what it would take to throw a preamp in it - I agree that this is more likely the issue.

16. I also have a Limited (2019) and agree about the sound quality. I don't blast the music but it seems to lack vibrancy or oomph. I've debated about upgrading, but now with Covid, I'm not driving nearly as much so wondering if it makes sense. I'll be interested to hear what improvement you get from the added amplifier.

17. I have a Ultimate (2020) produced in Czech Republic, and that one has an eight-speaker Krell sound system (400 watts). It is pretty okay but it can't be compared with Krell HiFi equipment for in your living room which is incredibly expensive. The sound quality is good especially at lower volumes but it tends to have distortion when going past 75%.