Some questions about MY19 Kona

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by mindcater, Sep 25, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. mindcater

mindcater New Member

Hi, a first time EV owner from Estonia here. I got a 2nd hand MY19 Kona with 20K km on it. I have been loving every minute. I have a couple of questions, maybe you can help me with.

1) Is there a way to see how many kWh are there in the battery? Currently I see only %.
    2) My Kona does not have app compability. Is there a way to make the car app compatible?
    3) I had 11kw wall charger installed and then I found out that the max the car is capable to load is only 3,7kW. Poor homework from my side. Is there a way to upgrade onboard charger? MY20 already came with 7.2kW charger.

thank you in advance

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I can't help you with your questions, but I am hoping that you can help me out.
    You have two european made Konas, perhaps made in the Czech Republic.
    Can you take a photo of the labels on the batteries? I am looking for the P/N and the ROM ID.
    Thank you

4. NRH

NRH Active Member

I can't help much with the questions, but welcome to Kona ownership! We love ours, warts and all.

I think it's unlikely that you'd be able to upgrade something as integral as the on-board charger, but the 3.7kw is still pretty good speed for home charging. If you have a 64kwh battery (as we do here in the US) you'll still charge from 40% to 100% overnight.
    If you have a 32kWh battery (I think this was a configuration in some markets) then the 3.7kw charger can charge you from 0-100% overnight.

You can estimate your battery size by looking at the 240v Charge Settings on the center screen - it will tell you how many hours it will take to charge at 3.7kw, and you can then calculate the capacity of your battery. (If you're at 50% now, and the screen tells you that your expected charging time at 3.7kw is 4 1/2 hours, then your 50% battery capacity is 3.7 x 4.5 = 16.6 kWh. (In that example you would have a ~34kwh battery.)

5. mikeselectricstuff

mikeselectricstuff Active Member

You could probably install an 11kW OBC and charge-port assembly from a scrapped car, the question is whether the car would talk to it. No reason it shouldn't from a technical point of view, but car manufacturers have a habit of needing assemblies to be coded to the car.

6. 1. Not directly, but for a close estimate apply the percent charge to the maximum capacity.
    2. None known.
    3. Unless you do what Mike suggests, no. Your domestic power situation is not common globally but must be why some EVs have 11kW 3-ph chargers. But if you search on Alibaba you might find a suitable DC charger.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Ginginova

Ginginova Active Member

For Number 3: Your Kona probably can charge up to 7,2 kW. It has single phase on board charger which can accept up to 32 Amps of AC current.
    Your problem is, that you are most probably limited to 16 Amps per phase per outlet as most households in Europe are.

Kirk and Toolworker like this.
  9. mindcater

mindcater New Member

Yep, my main fuse is 3x16Amps