Sold my Niro EV

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by Texas Niro EV, Dec 30, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Texas Niro EV

Texas Niro EV Active Member

I have a build date of 1/16/23 for a F150 Lightning so I had to sell my Niro EV. The Niro EV was one of the best cars I have ever owned and I will miss it dearly. I needed something I could really tow with and I was worried that I would pull the guts out of the Niro EV if I had a hitch on it.

The Niro EV is an excellent commuter but my working career is almost over and a good commuter is just not that important to me anymore. I doubt I will be haunting this forum anymore but keep an eye out for me on the F150 Lightning forums. For those of you that stay with the Niro EV, I hope the Niro EV continues to give you the same pleasurable driving experience I was blessed with for the last three and a half years.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Domenick and Daniel Hall like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Well, that was a pleasant post. When I see a title like that I normally prepare myself for whining and moaning, 'I'll never buy another Kia' post!

Daniel Hall likes this.
  4. shepdave

shepdave New Member

I had a 2019 Chevy Bolt. In the battery-fire scare of 2021, I got GM to buy it back from me. The next day I went to a local Kia dealer who had a Niro EV on the lot, and I bought it.

I miss that Bolt a bit, but the Niro is a dream car. I’m not at all sorry I made that move, and I plan to keep the Niro for a long time.

In other words, Texas, I agree with you completely. Thanks for the positive message about this great EV.

Daniel Hall likes this.
  5. jeff_h

jeff_h Member

Be sure to stop back after you've had the F150 for a bit and post what you think of it, and how some of the non-towing features compare. I had a Fusion Energi for a couple years and the "GO Time" scheduled charging/climate (which is also in the Niro EV) was always nice. So let us know what you think once you've had it for a month or two, as well as your purchase experience as I've seen some not-so-great posts here about working with the Kia dealers, I wonder if things are better with Ford with the F-150 EV.

Congrats and good luck!

NorthernLights likes this.
  6. Congrats on moving to the Ford F-150 Lightning. I realize we don't have much of an owner's community here for that vehicle, but if you find yourself with some pictures of your new truck and a bit of time, it'd be great to see them on our F-150 Lightning sub-forum.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Texas Niro EV

Texas Niro EV Active Member

I have had the Lightning now since Valentine’s Day. The biggest difference between the Niro EV and the F150L is the size, the F150L is BIG. It’s very hard negotiation parking but it’s a lot easier with the 360 degree cameras.

I have made two trips to Colorado already. I have to say that the F150L is a little ahead of its’ time, there are few CCS chargers that can charge as fast as the F150L is capable of and few of the roads I use to go to Colorado currently allow the use of Blue Cruise. Next year I’m supposed to get an adapter to use Tesla Superchargers and that should really help with the charging situation.

The purchasing experience for the F150L was a bit nerve wracking. First a was moved up a year on the reservation list because I was willing to pay for the more expensive Lariat with an extended range battery. That means that my finances weren’t in near as good a shape as I had hoped but that also means that I locked in my loan before the interest rates went up even more, I locked at 5 1/8%.

Originally I didn’t expect to get the $7,500 federal tax credit because I thought Ford would surpass the 200,000 threshold before I took delivery but then congress eliminated the threshold and put a $80k MSRP cap on the tax credit. In 2022 the Lariat ER had an MSRP of just under $80k but the MSRP went up to $86K for 2023. At face value it looks like I got burned but, considering how inflation skyrocketed this last year and considering that some of the lower trim levels went up as much as 30%, I’m okay with the price and not getting the tax credit.

Then just about the time my truck was supposed to be delivered, one of the F150Ls at the factory caught on fire and Ford recalled all the F150Ls in transit. I was sure my truck was going to be recalled but it showed up at the dealership with no mention of the truck fire. I guess I was lucky because some people that had the same build date as I did had to wait a couple more months to get their trucks.

Overall the F150L is an awesome truck. I’m still getting used to driving the truck but it’s easy and fun to drive and very forgiving. I do miss my Niro EV at times, especially in parking lots, but I really don’t see myself ever needing or wanting another vehicle again.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

ITown, jeff_h, KiwiME and 2 others like this.
  9. Thanks for sharing that. Ford really seems to have gotten the F-150 Lightning pretty right for this first generation.
    Having the Supercharger network to rely on should really change the game for long distance travelling. Hopefully it will retain the high reliability it has with Tesla's own vehicles.

10. I know exactly what you mean. I sold my Kona to my sister in law when I purchased my Lighting Pro in January. It a great truck and yes it more to difficult park than a smaller car like the Niro and that's when I miss the kona. Other wise it is a great road trip truck. Lots of room and very comfortable

Domenick likes this.