Smart EV Chargers

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by MBW NJ, May 23, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. MBW NJ

MBW NJ New Member

If my 2021 Kona can schedule charging by time of day or max charge using the app, is there any value in spending the extra money for a "smart" charger?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I guess technically not. I was wondering about that too, I'm very techy and probably would be interested in a smart charger, but like you said, what's the point if the car can do it?

I'd now go more likely with a portable charger so I can take it with me and use on a camp ground. That has way more value than a smart wall box.

Oh, only exception is load sharing, of course.

4. MBW NJ

MBW NJ New Member

I'm considering getting the Grizzl-e L2....it uses a 14-50 plug and claims to be easily removable from the mounting bracket to take with me. They are releasing a"smart version" in the next couple of months, but I don't think it's worth waiting for.

Esprit1st likes this.
  5. I didn't spring for a smart version. There just seems to be so much redundancy. Between the car and Bluelink you pretty much know what you need to know without having the EVSE and yet another app telling you the same stuff.

DaveO, Esprit1st and Ronny like this.
  6. Only if you need a tally of power input or want household load monitoring to suit solar installs where the EVSE can dynamically modulate the current level offered to the EV.

Not sure if it's still an issue with the latest models but my Kona only has one programmable off-peak time period when I actually have two.

Esprit1st likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. TRSmith

TRSmith Member

IMHO the main reason to get a smart charger is if your utility provides an incentive for it. Many do, often either to give you a lower rate for charging or to throttle your charging to balance the grid.

9. Pobre

Pobre Member

I have ChargePoint EVSE at home. I personally do not use the car's charging schedule . My main reason for not using is that the ChargePoint can keep a Log of charging History in both at home and community usages.

10. Helpful_Cub

Helpful_Cub New Member

Discovered my garage doesn't have a 220V outlet and only 2, 110V outlets. On the plus side, the main panel is only 10 feet away on the outside of the house. I'm thinking have an Electrician setup a 100A Subpanel in the garage (expansion for shop tools and more 110V outlets) and go with a 6-50 outlet for a ChargePoint. Yes I have a Kona EV, but I'd like to future proof as much as I can. Anything sound wrong with that approach?