Slow leak in tire question

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Chris-Ca, Jan 16, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Hi All,

It seems I've got a slow leak in my rear left tire. I think reading some posts of people worried about non-dealer places lifting the car wrong by battery pack. Is that really a concern?

I'm in southern ca, so if there are any suggestions on tire places to go to, I'd appreciate it.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Any semi competent tire shop should be able to do this for you. The lift points are fairly standard in their location, especially if they use a 4 point hydraulic lift. I suppose your can discuss this with them before they touch it and see if there is any concerns on their part. I suppose if you have a floor jack you could just take off the tire yourself and bring it to them.

4. NRH

NRH Active Member

I'd mention to them that there's no center jacking spot in the rear, and that the usual jacking spots along the sides of the car are the same as any car. (At the unibody weld just forward of the rear wheel wells and just aft of the front wheel wells.) I don't think tire shops jack from the center of the car generally, because unibody cars are weird back there and it would be tough to find a different spot on every car.

5. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

A slow leak is usually caused by an object in your tire. You can easily fix this by yourself in about 15 minutes. All you need is a jack, a compressor to inflate the tire (you can use the mini compressor that comes with the car) and a tire repair kit..
    1) locate the object
    2) jack up the car
    3) remove the object
    4) use the file like tool to clean out the hole from the object
    5) use the other tool in the repair kit to insert a tar strip into the tire. Once it's 50% inside, pull out the tool and then use scissors or a similar tool to cut off the pieces from the tar strip that are sticking out
    6) inflate the tire
    7) lower the car and remove the jack..

Chris-Ca likes this.
  6. Can also be leaking valve stem or defect in mating surface of the rim. If you don't see an obvious nail or whatever get it checked out.

Chris-Ca likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

The easiest way to find out from where it is leaking is to spray glass cleaner all across the tire and valve stem. It will bubble up wherever the leak is.. Of course, you have to move the tire to be able to spray all of it..

9. It will bubble with water also.