Slow Charging on Clarity PHEV

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by SOS, Jun 5, 2019.

1. SOS

SOS New Member

I wanted to share my recent experience in the hope that it may help others. I charge using the 110V EVSE. I recently found my clarity was charging very slowly. Almost 24 hours to fully charge. I noticed that the charger was flashing orange, even though the charge door light was green.

After reading the manual, I found that the orange flashing light on the EVSE is an indication that the plug is overheating. I reseated the plug into my 110 V outlet, and supported the EVSE/Charger so that is wasn't pulling on the plug. Now I can recharge in my normal 8-10 hour cycle.

The manual indicated the flashing orange light indicates an issue but the car continues to charge at a slower rate. This is really bad imho, because everything on the charge door looks fine. Fully green light and nothing on the dash. So it's very easy to miss. If you find you are charging very slowly using the OEM EVSE/Charger, you should make sure the light is solid Orange and stays that way during the charging process.