Slit on steering wheel?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by CuriousGeorge, Jun 10, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

I just noticed this... slit/scratch, crack, molding mark? Wondering what other's steering wheels look like.

Attached Files:

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

That looks like maybe the airbag seam? It seems to go around the logo.

SameGuy likes this.
  4. CuriousGeorge

Agreed. What's puzzling that I didn't notice it before. Is it growing?

The telematics recall fix is just a software upload, correct? That's the only time anyone else has been in the driver's seat of my car since I got it.

Again, puzzling! Unfortunately, once seen, I can't unsee it, and it bothers me.

5. Perhaps try a bit of leather cleaner with a soft brush or cotton swab along the seam. Could be that a bit of dirt worked its way into the seam.

6. sacharama

sacharama Active Member

That looks like a scratch to me. Perhaps it's caused by something with a flat straight edge.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Mini4bv

Mini4bv New Member

Identical issue with mine. Believe it wasn't this bad prior to using the horn a couple times last week but not sure. Will mention it next month when in for service.

Attached Files:

9. CuriousGeorge

So when you press on the horn, the line where the airbag would emerge is stressed, and the chrome ring cracks?

10. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

WTF, straight edge? Is Freddy Kruger honking your horn?

11. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

In 21 months still looks new but my car is mostly in garage not exposed to sun and I use plastic / leather softener once a while IMG_1001.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 14, 2023
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

I purchased recently Dashboard mat to prevent accidental scratches and cracks from sun when dashboard is exposed to intensive sun heat .Inexpensive $30 again this car sit in a garage .Maybe not the best but do a trick is acceptable fit good for F56 size IMG_0999.jpeg
    IMG_0997.jpeg IMG_0998.jpeg IMG_0999.jpeg

14. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

The SE steering wheel is basically stock F56 part, so maybe ask the dealer about the crack? I'm sure they've seen it before.

Rexsio likes this.