should the VOLT be killed?

Discussion in 'Volt' started by mark dombrowsky, Dec 17, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. mark dombrowsky

mark dombrowsky New Member

My wife and I have owned an early Prius, a 2013 Chevy VOLT, and now one of the soon to be rare 2018 Chevy MALIBU Hybrids ( some Volt internal electric parts I am told).
    It seems GM is going "all in" on the BOLT and others all electric, but here in Texas they are a tough sell. I actually think the VOLT was magnificent for a Plug-in that did not requite a 240 volt adapter at our house, and ran around town all-electric many days.
    Question: Is GM smart in killing the VOLT, and they most likely made little if any profit on it?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Bob Lutz claims everyone is selling EVs at a loss, skip to 4:20 in this video:

This suggests GM is selling the Volt at a loss and decided the 'credits' don't match what they are getting for the Volt. Compared to the Bolt, they save on engine, transmission, and associated systems for the same CARB credits.

As a Prius Prime and BMW i3-REx owner, they bracket the Volt and both of mine came with dynamic cruise control and automatic emergency braking. My understanding is these are extra cost on the Volt and limited to the top, most expensive trim. So the Volt loses on both sides and a serious safety requirement, at least for us.

If the Volt meets your requirements, good. I was aware of the Volt but paid less than $30k for our end-of-lease, 2014 BMW i3-REx and our 2017 Prius Prime.

Bob Wilson

4. gooki

gooki Well-Known Member

Killing the volt is an easy way to increase Bolt production by 25% when you are battery constrained.