Service Campaign T9E

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Bruce M., Oct 4, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

Does anyone have experience with this? My local dealer informed me of this during a recent visit, but said they didn't have the tool needed to do it. I'm in Hilo, on Hawaii Island, and this is the only Hyundai/Kia dealer here. They said they could do it at their other location clear across the island in Kona, which is literally the only other option , but the tool couldn't be shipped to their shop to do it locally. This is a 2 hour drive each way, so I have to basically shoot a whole day to get it done.

I've emailed Hyundai to complain and ask them to agree to compensate me for wasted time, lost work, etc., but not really expecting anything useful from them.

Does anyone have experience with this? How important is it? FYI, Big Island Motors is the worst dealer service department I've ever dealt with. Twice this year they've ordered the wrong part for relatively small repairs, wasting endless amounts of my time, and the fact that they're literally the only game in town makes me reluctant to ever get another Hyundai or Kia.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I'd love to know what this amazingly rare or astoundingly expensive tool is.

4. It's this, issued specifically for this well-known TSB. You would think the dealer could borrow it for a few days.

machine.jpg

Last edited: Oct 4, 2023
    Bruce M., insightman and electriceddy like this.
  5. I will try to get a picture of the "new" machine that my service center ordered for my 3rd year service due on the 26th of this month. Apparently, it does the job quicker than their original unit. I was quoted ~3-4 hours' waiting time required to complete including that particular TSB.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2023
  6. What are the odds of your Kona EV actually having to be serviced in the community it was named after, kind of ironic?
    I hope HMC will buy you a beach lunch and cover your travel time c/w expenses. ;)

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

They should! Still no response from Hyundai. And now having seen @KiwiME 's pic of the "too big to move" tool, I'm more pissed off.

Fun fact: For several years Hyundai did not sell its EVs in Hawaii, so until last year you could not buy an electric Kona in Kona!