Safelite & Windshield Replacement

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Cali65, Nov 19, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Cali65

Cali65 Member

A rock hit my windshield on the freeway and now I have a crack that is getting bigger slowly. I have Farmers Ins and my out of pocket for windshield repair/replacement is $100.
    I have read some posts about issues with Safelite and OEM windshield replacement issues as well as needing camera/sensor recalibration by dealer afterwards.
    1. Has anyone dealt with this and how was it all handled?
    2. Honda dealer said if the camera/sensor is not disconeected by Safelite then no calibration will be needed.......correct?
    3. Did Safelite do a good job replacing the windshield and I assume taking into the shop vs mobile is the better way to get it done?

Thank you for any response in advance.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Nikko508

Nikko508 Member

Imo safelite is the McDonald's of windshields. They do an ok job but definitely better quality if you shop around. They came out to fix a rock chip on my windshield and they cracked it, then they told me I was responsible for it. So after an argument and I agreed for them to replace it at a reduced price I was watching them as they were putting my window in and the guy bumped it on the cement and put a chip in the corner and continue to install it on my car is if I didn't see it. You get what you pay for. Shop around and don't let a few extra dollars dictate who you pick.

4. Ken K.

Ken K. New Member

Regarding calibration, my brother has had his windshield replaced on his 2016 Prius and had to get his camera re calibrated. I assume his camera was disconnected during the windshield replacement, he wasn't present during the replacement so he doesn't know the full detail.

5. Cali65

Cali65 Member

Finally got the windshield replaced by a different installer and OEM was ordered for me since my agent added a $35 premium for OEM. So $100 deductible anf they'll pay Honda to calibrate the sensor/camera.
    Thank you for the responses.

Nikko508 likes this.
  6. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

What would have happened if you hadn't paid $35 more for OEM windshield replacement coverage? There is no non-OEM replacement. Would the lack of a generic windshield replacement mean you would have to pay the entire cost of the OEM windshield?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Cali65

Cali65 Member

If no aftermarket was available then insurance would have to pay for OEM.
    After talking to a few repair places I was told by all of them that an aftermarket windshield is available, the only place that said there wasn't was Safelite.
    The OEM used for my car is made by AGC and has the Honda logo on it too......they also do aftermarket that has AGC on it but no Honda logo.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Inside EVs mobile app

insightman likes this.
  9. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

I don't recall seeing anyone reporting of a confirmed existence / replacement with an aftermarket windshield.
    It would be a good thing if there is one, but I will remain skeptical until it is actually demonstrated by somebody.

If anyone has actual experience with an aftermarket windshield in the Clarity, please speak up !!!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    insightman likes this.
  10. I’d suspect the repair places that believe an aftermarket windshield is available, probably believe it is the same windshield as an Accord or Civic. That’s just a suspension, however.

My experience with Safelite was with a Mini Cooper. Apparently they are known for developing cracked windshields. The dealer wanted $1650 and required the vehicle be left with them all day. Safelite came to the house and replaced the windshield in less than 2 hours for about $250. Then I sold it.

11. MrFixit

For the price the Mini dealer quoted you, you could have bought almost 7 Safelite windshields. If they sometimes develop cracks, it still seems like a no brainer which way to go if given the choice... I have had at least 3 experiences with Safelite windshields over the years - all positive.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Yes, one year with that car cured me of ever wanting anything in the BMW family.

14. insightman

I'll be going against two of your convictions (no BMW products and no clown/electric cars) when I buy an electric MINI next year to join our Clarity PHEV, which addicted me to EV travel. This just in: MINI USA has revealed the MINI Cooper SE's range will be a paltry 110 miles, but that's only 91 miles less than a Porsche Taycan. It's good to know a new MINI windshield will be a lot cheaper than one for our Clarity.

15. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Does that mean your new avatar will be Mini-MeMan? And Austin Powers reports that there is a lot less room to shag in the Mini than in the Clarity. Don't want you to dislocate a hip trying to relive your teenage years with Mrs. Insightman in that tiny car! ;)
    PS: I Think I just won a prize for best or worst thread drift. @Domenick , tell me what I won.

MPower likes this.
  16. insightman

To continue your drift, my new website, eMINIman.com, embodies the shifting of my identity from insightman. Right now it's only a 13-second slide-show protest against the bogus, blocked-off hood scoop MINI added at the last minute to their electric car. I'll remain @insightman on Inside EVs, so people who have blocked my posts won't have to do it again. I think my new hip is up to the challenge, but that's all you'll ever hear about that.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  17. D6D36EE9-E392-4E63-8D24-B58A7B2F8A99.jpeg D6D36EE9-E392-4E63-8D24-B58A7B2F8A99.jpeg 2479335F-E583-400D-A8E8-BDCA003AFDC5.jpeg 2479335F-E583-400D-A8E8-BDCA003AFDC5.jpeg
    Convicted? Never.

And if you have Farmers insurance like Cali65, a new Clarity windshield will only set you back $100, even better than the Safelite deal.

I didn’t stay at a Holiday Inn Express, but I did work on The Spy Who Shagged Me.

Swag not for sale. Shag on.

insightman likes this.
  18. Pinotbob

Pinotbob New Member

I had a small rock hit the windshield and couldn't see any nick until a week later when I noticed a small ding just below the roofline and just above the camera. Eventually it grew, so I went to a State Farm Ins recommended windshield replacer. He reported that Honda OEM windshields are in a backlog due to COVID and it would be up to 6 months before one would be available. He suggested an aftermarket one, available right away, so I went with that. I discovered that the Lane Keeping Assist, and Collision Mitigation Systems were not working. The CMS braked for no apparent reason, and the LKAS would only alert on the right side, and only after going way over the bike lane stripe. Nothing when I crossed over a double line on the left! As of Oct 6, 2021, the expedited date for an OEM windshield is Nov 15. Honda says the car is driveable, just without those features turned on, so they won't provide a loaner or rental car to use. The independent windshield replacer (who is an instructor for windshield installers nationwide) doesn't want me to drive the 2020 Clarity PHEV until the OEM windshield is installed. There is a flashing warning light for the Road Departure Mitigation System that cannot be turned off. He says its unsafe to drive. He's going to eat the cost of the aftermarket glass, and charge State Farm for the OEM glass whenever it gets delivered. Meanwhile, I'm driving his loaner car....

MrFixit likes this.
  19. MrFixit

Wow !
    Thanks for the report on this.
    It is hard to understand why an aftermarket windsheild would have such a profound impact.
    The CMBS is radar-based, but I just reviewed a description and it apparently uses the camera in some fashion too.

With this much of an inpact, one would think there should be a visible difference in the area where the camera looks through. Are there any differences to your eye with the way things appear looking through the windshield?

It makes me wonder if the camera somehow got messed up during windshield installation. It sounds like you have a very experienced guy though. Could your installer hazzard a guess as to precisely how the replacement windshield was having such a dramatic effect?

20. insightman

I don't think anyone has ever mentioned the availability of an aftermarket Clarity windshield on this forum before. We've heard more than once that windshield installers have accidently ordered a Civic windshield for a Clarity, but never an aftermarket windshield for this limited-production car.

Do you know what company made this windshield (so we can reject its installation on our Claritys)? Does the independent windshield replacer who is an instructor for windshield installers nationwide have any ideas why the CMS and LKAS don't work? Does the glass in front of the rear-view mirror somehow distort the light waves? Can you detect any strangeness when you look through this aftermarket windshield?

21. Frankwell

Frankwell Active Member

Did the shop send you to the dealer for the calibration or did they do it themselves? Whoever did the calibration I would think they would have been the ones to discover that it wasn't working, not you. Could be that this is actually a calibration problem. OTOH waiting for the OEM windshield might be the better solution if it doesn't cost you anything and since you get a free loaner car.

If you have a chance to "visit" your car can you please look on the windshield for the manufacturing information, sometimes it's a little hard to read but please let us know everything it says, even better you can take a picture of the manufacture information.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
    insightman likes this.
  22. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

I had safelite to replace the windshield in my 16 pilot. They had to use OEM since the car had auto-wiper and there was no after-market. They calibrated the camera after the install. No need to bring to dealer. I bought it to shop instead of getting the sidewalk job. No issue after 2 years.

Other installer i quoted from can't calibrate and told me to bring to dealer afterwards.

I think the calibration is pretty simple. You go to a maintenance/config screen on the head unit and put a specific sign in front of the car. Done.

23. Pinotbob

Pinotbob New Member

I asked the JJB Autoglass owner, who did the replacement and I think he said EYG was the manufacturer. I'll try to get that info. Meanwhile, he called about 40 Honda dealers in California and finally found one 5 hours away who had an OEM windshield. JJB drove down last night, picked it up and drove back. Installed it today and everything works fine. He showed me the aftermarket one he took out, and the camera bracket seemed to be slightly off, and it only takes a millimeter variance to have an effect.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
    insightman likes this.