RWD vs. Dual Motor

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by dBdt, Jul 23, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. dBdt

dBdt Member

My current vehicle is a 2010 Passat ICE, which is a FWD. I remember switching to FWD from RWD and remember how much it helped winter driving (for me). A couple questions:

1. Given the weight distribution in the Model 3, will traction be as good as my FWD Passat in snow if both have 4 season tires?

2. If I put winter tires on the Standard+ with RWD, am I right thinking it will have better traction than a typical FWD that only has all season tires?

3. I suppose AWD will always have an edge, but with good winter tires and the Model 3 weight distribution, will there be much difference in traction between the RWD and dual-motor AWD? I don't want to spend the extra 10k for the long range just to get dual motor AWD for winter traction if it's not really needed.

Bottom line: Does winter driving need to be a decider for RWD vs. dual motor?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Living in North Alabama, we don't get much snow. However, we do have rain-slick streets on unusually slippery asphalt and the rear drive, traction control is awesome.

Bob Wilson