RV Pedestal for Level 2 power?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Fast Eddie B, Dec 12, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. We have a fenced-in RV area where we installed 2 power pedestals.

They are fed by 2 50A breakers, as seen here:

[​IMG]

This shows the 50A RV receptacle on the left:

[​IMG]

What’s crossed my mind is fabricating an adapter to go from that 50A RV outlet to the kind of receptacle a plug-in Level 2 charger needs. Mostly we could get by with overnight Level 1 charging, but quicker charging could be handy at times.

Any reason that wouldn’t work? Has anyone tried that?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

Should work fine. I ordered our JuiceBox Pro 40 with a plug just so I could bring it with me in case I wanted to. Just select the type of plug connector you want and wire it directly to the JuiceBox.

4. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

Why would you need an adapter at all? Just get an EVSE with a 14-50 plug.

5. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

There are plenty of dongles available to convert your NEMA 14-50 to whatever your EVSE requires. For example, here is a Mil Spec 8 ga one that converts it to a 6-50 used by Charge Point EVSEs. You can get ones with short cords or just a straight or right angle one with no cord. Just make sure you don’t get the cheaper ones with 10 ga wire if your going to go to a 32 Amp EVSE which is the max the Clarity can take advantage of.
    Here is a the link for conversion for a Charge Point. And Charge Points are on sale for 20% off
    https://www.amazon.com/Milspec-Direct-3-Foot-Welder-Adapter/dp/B00I4YX02E/ref=asc_df_B00I4YX02E/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309786256292&hvpos=1o7&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17749448858305682994&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=21168&hvtargid=pla-570459198685&psc=1

6. I’m pretty new to this.

What sort of plug on something like a Juicebox would give maximum flexibility when traveling?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

I have a NEMA 14-50 on mine and carry one 2' adapter cord I made (Lowe's) for NEMA 14-50 to one of the other sockets that my brother has at his shop. Adapter cords don't weigh much and if short don't take up much room in trunk.

9. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

I’ve looked into your question a bit ever since we met a couple at Fundy National Park last year camping with their Tesla Model S. They plugged into the 50A service at campsites to charge their car overnight and were enjoying “free” charging as they went along because there is no extra charge for high electrical use at campsites with electric service.

The adapter that @KentuckyKen linked to will work fine for your Level 2 charger, provided it takes the receptacle on that dongle.

Keep in mind the 50A receptacle in your RV panel has 2 hots, a ground and a neutral. The ground is the half round hole on top, the neutral is the hole directly below that, and the 2 hots are the left and right holes. Your car charger will use only the ground and the 2 hots. An RV plugged in uses the neutral too, because an RV with a 50A input splits the outlet into two 120V circuits. RVs don’t use 240V circuits.

10. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

I do like the flexability of an EVSE like the JuiceBox that can set the charging amps for your portable charger. This way if have a 30A breaker where you want to charge you can limit the charging to no more than 26A (80%). When you have 50A breaker, you can let it go to the default max since the Clarity shouldn't pull more than 32A.