Run flats suck. What I would not give for spare tire! The Michellins totally failed

Discussion in 'Honda' started by workbench, Mar 17, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. workbench

workbench New Member

Has this happened to anyone? The rear passenger tire completely failed. Is this covered under warranty? What else should I check? 20190316_171420.jpg

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. PHEV Newbie

PHEV Newbie Well-Known Member

While I agree that a spare tire would have been very welcome, the OEM tires on the Clarity are not run flats.

workbench and fotomoto like this.
  4. Dustin

Dustin Member

Tires have warranties through their manufacture, but the Honda dealer should be able to help with the process.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Inside EVs mobile app

5. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

Yes Michelin tires have warranties. As stated already, contact Michelin and probably best to do it thru your dealer.

6. fotomoto

fotomoto Active Member

workbench likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. workbench

workbench New Member

I would like to buy a spare tire for the future. Any recommendations?

9. The Gadgeteer

The Gadgeteer Active Member

These tires are known to have issues and a very high failure rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

10. PHEV Newbie

PHEV Newbie Well-Known Member

That looks like a blow out. Is that a new Clarity? Other owners have reported very high tire pressures from dealers (something to do with procedures during shipping and storage) that were not adjusted properly prior to delivery. If you haven't already, you should immediately check the other tires.

KentuckyKen likes this.
  11. To remove this ad click here.

12. The Gadgeteer

Even if the tire pressure was at the PSI that it has at delivery and the dealer never adjusted it as part of the PDI it is not nearly enough to cause a total structural failure in a tire. I would bet the tires are only over inflated within safety limits just for convenience. It is much faster, easier, and equipment free to lower the pressure in a tire than it is to pump them up while prepping the car for delivery. Especially since the tires are likely to loose a little air over enough time anyway better to be a little over than under. New tire shops have been infamously grossly over inflating tires for decades but you never hear of a blowout on a tire that is less than a year old.

The plain fact of the matter is all these cars are all new (came out in 2018) and it a limited run (only 20,000 cars made, 1/10th of # of Accords) yet we hear about tire failures in a Clarity almost weekly.

I would guess that these tires, which are not common, have a minor defect that in lighter cars does not show up often enough to draw attention.

13. fotomoto

fotomoto Active Member

It may also have to do with the subject being much more important when dealing with a vehicle with no spare so folks post more about it. Just a hunch from being on the volt boards since 2009. LRR tires are lighter and seem to suffer sidewall failures more easily than a traditional tire.

I got an inside sidewall blowout on the rear Michelin on my C-Max energi. Inflator was useless but I had mini-spare. Because no one locally carries these in stock, I had to order the replacement and in a comedy of shipping errors it took over a week to arrive. That spare payed for itself in that I didn't have to buy a mismatch tire locally or get a rental while waiting on the delayed shipment.

Literally minutes ago, I bit the bullet and bought one of those ebay mini-spares for the Clarity. I already have the rest of the "kit" from the Energi. TIP: get a 6 point socket, breaker bar, and extension as the lugs are usually way too tight for the tiny tools in most kits.

The Gadgeteer likes this.
  14. workbench

workbench New Member

15. workbench

workbench New Member

Which Kit did you buy? Does it clear the calipers?

I am looking at this right now: https://www.acurapartsforless.com/oem-parts/acura-18-06421tz5a00

16. The Gadgeteer

I am looking at one I found on eBay. There is a person on there that puts together Spare kits for all sorts of cars. Just search on Clarity Spare on eBay. Probably from an Accord if I were to guess.