road trip observations

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by JimW, Jan 2, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. JimW

JimW Active Member

Just returned from 1100 mile trip with the family. With four adults, loaded trunk, climate at 73, and driving 75-80 on interstate, car reports 45.7 MPH (I did not verify, expect actual is less). Gas was $1.89-2.29 (Virginia).

We typically drove until the low fuel light came on, then put in 5.9-6.1 gallons. I used EV in city driving, so did a few HV charge stints on highway to return charge to 67% level.

Car was comfortable for all and worked flawlessly. Even Android Auto (running Audible app) never gave me an error message! My only complaint is the high-rev droning from the tiny engine (going across mountains) is not a pleasant sound. This is not really "angry bees", but is noticeable since I get used to ultra-quiet EV driving most of the time.

Interesting observation at a Sheetz in the middle of nowhere on I-81. It had 6 brand new Electrify America high-speed DC chargers. There were no restaurants or shopping next door, so I guess the idea is to hang out at the Sheetz for an hour while your BEV charges. It will be interesting to watch how charging networks and driver behavior develops.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Thomas Mitchell

Thomas Mitchell Active Member

Had a similar experience on 1400 mile Xmas holiday trip. Similar driving strategy, similar results. Overall the car is remarkably quiet (buzzy A-pillars excepted), even my Dad (Avalon driver) remarked on the quietness, but when that ICE kicks in during mountain driving you really notice it. All in all it’s a compromise we happily accept as the car is typically used by my wife as an EV around town.

I don’t find the seats very comfortable, though, Too soft on the bottom and no lumbar support. Using a small pillow for lumbar but that scoots my duff too far forward and reduces thigh support. Again, a compromise I can accept.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Thomas Mitchell

There is an EF (Electrify America) station under installation (for months now) at our local Sam’s Club. I noticed all the stations are DC fast charging. There were no J-1772 plugs at all! After researching their rates online, I believe it is cheaper and more practical to HV charge the car on a road trip if desired. It’s cheaper to use gas than an EF station!

5. tim

tim Member

@Thomas, I also had the buzzing A-pillar, but the dealer was able to fix the problem with some extra padding around the speaker.

It's interesting how the quietness of EV driving shifts our expectations. After I drove the Clarity for the first month, the first time afterwards when I drove my wife's minivan, I was shocked at how noisy the minivan way. In fact, I thought there was something wrong with the minivan and wanted to take it to the dealer. However, my wife thought I was crazy.

MPower likes this.
  6. MNSteve

MNSteve Well-Known Member

I have to second this observation, and it also explains why we are so sensitive to the ICE starting.

Thomas Mitchell and Johnhaydev like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Thomas Mitchell

I had the A-pillars fixed today along with getting the public charging software update. I agree that the usual quietness of these cars spoils us!