Road trip around New Zealand in a Kona?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by gonfunko, Dec 31, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I'm planning a trip to New Zealand in October and noticed that Avis has Kona EVs available to rent. I'm quite comfortable road tripping in the Kona here in the US, but since it seems like there are a few Kiwi members here I thought I'd ask if this sounds reasonable to you. A few general questions/potentially relevant info:

Is Plugshare the best app for finding/reviewing public chargers in NZ?
    ~All stations listed on Plugshare are ChargeNet, with typically a single 50kW station. Are there other charging networks that are prevalent?
    Are stations generally available when you arrive or is having to wait fairly typical?
    Do motels/inns tend to have accessible outlets/generally be accommodating of charging your car overnight while you stay?
    Would it be worthwhile/necessary to get an adapter for campground electrical hookups?

We're (myself, my mum who also has a Kona, and a friend of hers) planning to visit both the North and South islands, flying into Auckland and out of Christchurch, spending about 5 days in the North and 8 days in the South, largely doing the standard tourist things. Happy to answer any questions if it'd be helpful - any advice is gratefully appreciated!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Good questions.

We have relatively good charging infrastructure and most are administered by ChargeNet, who have their own map similar to plugshare. You sign up with a credit card and either buy a $2 tag from them or use your phone to start a charge. Your card is billed when you terminate the charge. Most DC units are 50kW but there are a few faster chargers in key places.

In smaller towns they may have only one 50 kW and whether it's available or not is just a matter of luck. Mostly it's typical to not have to wait. I would generally charge at smaller towns before entering major cities.

You'll need a BYO Type-2 to Type-2 cable to use most if not all AC public or hotel/motel chargers, keeping in mind most motels probably won't have those facilities. A rental car would likely come with that. The campground cable with EVSE is another matter. The AC plug is referred to as a 'caravan' or 'commando' plug when you enquire, 16 A at 230V. I'm not sure you'll need that unless you're planning to use powered campsites as a preference.

People here drive old Leafs all over the country without any major issues, a Kona has a luxurious range in comparison. If you have detailed questions about a specific motel or campground you could join the NZ EV Owners facebook group and ask. Someone out of the 12,000 members will have the answer.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2022
    John Lumsden likes this.
  4. David Michael Scott

David Michael Scott New Member

From my experience travelling around the South Island I agree with KiwiME's comments. I would add that most accommodation providers are happy to allow overnight charging but few have outlets specifically designed for that purpose. I generally ask about charging when booking accommodation and make it clear that I would prefer accommodation that does provide for that. On some occasions the host has little idea of the energy cost involved and on rare occasions I've been asked to pay a surcharge to cover that. My impression is that accommodation providers are beginning to accept that providing guests with EV charging facilities should be regarded as no different to the use of other amenities.

5. Hi gonfunko, We've done road trips in both North and South Islands using Chargenet, and going to the most remote places (Tuatapere, Whangamomona, East Cape) without any problems or significant waits. On a recent return journey from Wellington to Auckland we had to wait twice but not for long. Chargenet (https://charge.net.nz/map/) has recently increased its prices and charges by the kWh, although those sites in the network that are supplied by local providers are still on a price per kWh plus per minute, which right now works out cheaper. The prices are shown on the Chargenet map when you click on each charging site. The Z Energy petrol stations are starting to install chargers but right now there are only about ten. By October there will surely be more. As KiwiMe says, the Kona range is luxurious here - you'll have a an easy tour, able to use the 45 minute charging time to explore interesting places!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2023
    KiwiME likes this.
  6. Thanks everyone, this is super helpful and great to hear that this should be feasible! I'll look into making some reservations, and report back later this year with a writeup of how the trip went if we're able to get a Kona while we're there.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. It’ll go fine gonfunko. We do it all the time with no drama. If you’re arriving in AKL and leaving from CHC with a rental just sort out drop off and pickup as you cross Cook Straight Bon voyage for your holiday.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

9. hieronymous

hieronymous Active Member

Hi gonfunko, I hope your trip idea works out well, BUT..
    I just threw a few 2 week October date blocks at Avis to check out EV's - unavailable, sold out was the response, both TM3 and Kona EV. You may have better luck from your location, but they probably only have 1-2.
    2 weeks is a very short time for a touring holiday here. Our distances are deceptive, as our highways have a 100kph limit, and plenty of challenging driving. For a one-way rental you could pretty much write off pickup and drop off days, and the Inter Island ferry day also, for anything else. Auckland-Christchurch is 2 nights, 2 1/2 full days driving alone.
    If you want some relaxed time to enjoy your stops, and not just drive all day, I strongly recommend you consider just some of the South Island through Christchurch only; you would need 5-6 weeks to enjoy the S I. fully.
    If you end up renting a hybrid, it will have more than twice the range, 5 min refueling, and similar running costs.

Happy Planning...

KiwiME likes this.
  10. Back in 2018, not long after we got the Kona, we did a road trip around the North Island. In those days it was a rarity, unlike now, and I wrote up notes about the trip.
    https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/2000-km-nz-road-trip-ev-john-lumsden
    Subsequently we did a similar but longer road trip round the South Island though I didn't write about it.
    So you can do a couple of road trips in two weeks and see much of the country. Of course with your own car the Cook Strait crossing isn't an issue - we left Wellington for the ferry after breakfast and, with a charging snack at the 25kW Reefton site, arrived in Greymouth on the West Coast in time to look around before dinner. With a rental you would want to drop it off at the ferry terminal and pick another up on the other side but I don't know if the rental car companies do this with EVs yet.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2023
  11. Hamza Bhatti

Hamza Bhatti New Member

Hi gofunko,

Answer 1: My recommendation for locating public chargers is always Plugshare, although it's true that in New Zealand, ChargeNet has a higher number of stations. However, not all stations are ChargeNet, and there are other charging stations (mostly Tesla) available, with power output ranging between 20Kw-50Kw. Some Tesla charging stations also offer 120Kw, but those are exclusive to Tesla drivers.

To ensure a smooth trip, I suggest finding a charging station and scheduling your stops for recharging your Kona in advance.

You can locate charging stations In the south and North here: https://www.plugshare.com/map/new-zealand

There are a lot of filters you can use, such as plug type, Wifi, Hotel, and Grocery store.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. redenlomas

redenlomas New Member

Plugshare: Yes, Plugshare is a reliable app for finding and reviewing public charging stations in New Zealand. It's widely used by EV owners and provides comprehensive information about charging locations.

Charging Networks: While ChargeNet is a prominent charging network in New Zealand, there are other networks like Electrify NZ and local utility companies offering EV charging stations. ChargeNet is known for its fast-charging options, which can be very useful for road trips.

Availability: Availability of charging stations can vary depending on your location and the time of day. In popular tourist areas, you might encounter some competition for charging spots, but it's usually manageable. It's a good practice to plan your charging stops in advance and have some backup options in mind.

Accommodations: Many motels and inns in New Zealand have recognized the growing popularity of electric vehicles and have started offering EV charging facilities. When booking your accommodations, it's a good idea to check if they have charging options available or are willing to accommodate your charging needs.

Campgrounds: If you plan to stay at campgrounds, having an adapter for campground electrical hookups can be a good idea. New Zealand campgrounds often have power hookups available for caravans and campervans, and having the right adapter can make charging more convenient.

North and South Island Itinerary: Your itinerary sounds great, and New Zealand is a beautiful country to explore. Just be sure to plan your charging stops along your route, especially when traveling between major cities or in remote areas where charging options may be limited.

Communication: Keep communication and coordination with your travel companions in mind. Ensure everyone is on the same page regarding charging stops and charging times, as this will help avoid any inconveniences during your trip.

Emergency Kit: Consider carrying an emergency charging kit, which could include a portable charger (Level 1 or Level 2) in case you encounter any issues with public charging stations.

Local Advice: Once you arrive in New Zealand, don't hesitate to ask locals or other EV owners for advice on charging and travel tips. New Zealanders are generally friendly and helpful.