Rivian Livestream: Adventurous forever with RJ Scaringe and Alex Honnold

Discussion in 'Rivian' started by Domenick, Jun 14, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Rivian founder and CEO RJ Scaringe sits down with our favorite climber, Alex Honnold, to talk purpose and sustainability, and announce details of a special partnership with the Honnold Foundation. The conversation will be moderated by endurance athlete and renowned podcast host Rich Roll.

Fast forward to the 34:07-mark to watch.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. So, to be honest, I'm not super certain about what to expect from this presentation. I assume it's basically about a partnership with Rivian and the Honnold Foundation that will see batteries from development, and hopefully consumer vehicles, find their way into renewable energy microgrids in remote and under-resourced communities around the world.
    I know we all just want to see vehicles rolling out of the factory and orders being filled, but foundational sustainability programs like this are important too.

1 person likes this.
  4. Guildenstern

Guildenstern New Member

Lots of order holders in the room, I guess. Pretty cool.

5. Several hundred vehicles over the next year or so that can't, of course, be sold.

6. Packs are designed to be used for stationary storage, both as entire packs, and with modules.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Loving this conversation, but I keep getting distracted by Alex's shirt.

Is that a small Rivian truck pinned to his shirt?

Alex-Rivian-truck-shirt.jpg

9. Rivian factory sits on over 500 acres that's mostly grass, will grow food on site to serve at plant. Nice!

10. Only eight packs in this project. Really underlines how many future projects could be created.

11. Earlier, I thought they said there were 800 order holders there.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Here's the video that they showed during the presentation of the work in Adjuntas, Puerto Rico.

14. JackA

JackA New Member

Yes it is... it is like the pins we were given at the NT Auto Show get together.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2022
    1 person likes this.
  15. I didn't see those. You have a pic?

16. JackA

JackA New Member

20190616_161023.jpg

Like this.... 20190616_161023.jpg

17. Posting a reoriented version for people with sore necks. :)

Rivian-pins.jpg

18. EyeOnEVs

EyeOnEVs New Member

Eight "packs" of what?

19. Eight vehicle battery packs. Those would be either 105 kWh, 135 kWh, or 180 kWh. They didn't specify, so it could even be a mix of these.

20. skyote

skyote New Member

TX
    I believe they did state that the test vehicle packs are 135 kWh.

2 people like this.
  21. EyeOnEVs

EyeOnEVs New Member

Thanks. Since the 105 kWh battery pack has seven 15 kWh modules, 135 kWh has nine, and 180 kWh pack has twelve, that would be a range of 56 to 96 battery modules. That's quite the range of batteries. Perhaps they meant battery modules. (?)

1 person likes this.
  22. I think they meant packs. I think 8 modules would be too small. I was imagining something on the order of 1,000 kWh.