RExEVs are a scam at this point

Discussion in 'General' started by 101101, Jan 11, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. 101101

101101 Well-Known Member

RExEVs are hybrid crap at this point

1. Dishonest
    2. Attempts to throw a life line to oil
    3. Pollution continues- not true green
    4. Can't really charge at home
    5. Less reliable
    6. At this point meant to slow down green or undermine green
    7. Still have to smog and engage in all that waste of time and expense.

Saw that attempt to compromise a Model 3 with this stuff and then claim 120mpg out of it.
    Just nope because it will never be cheaper, cleaner or more reliable- all much worse or have equal NHV. It will also be facing 500mile BEVs with solid quick charging everyone out and about and it will have less utility charging at home. It is too little too late. It can never be cost competitive across the supply stack. It is just trying to degrade a Model 3 into a Volt at this point and no amount of lying will support its cons.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Owning a BMW i3-REx, backup to our Tesla, and trading in a Prius Prime for the Tesla, I have 'hands on' experience. No, I'm not going back but the BMW i3-REx was our 'gateway' to the Tesla and remains valued.

A couple of months ago, I badly drove our Tesla so it hit a curb on the passenger side wheels. The tires held pressure even though both wheels had ~1/4 of the rim sheared off. It has taken about 10 weeks to do all of the repairs: (1) two new wheels and tires; (2) rear wheel alignment (string method) and; (3) replaced front and rear bearings. During this time, I put another ~2,000 miles on the BMW i3-REx including driving to the Nashville Tesla store for the bearings.

If you're going Tesla, no problem as the hard problems have been solved. But it you're going anything else, I'd recommend starting with a maximum EV range, hybrid. You'll learn how to deal with non-Tesla EVs without getting stranded.

Bob Wilson

DaleL likes this.
  4. DaleL

DaleL Active Member

There is no doubt that including an ICE in a vehicle adds complexity, weight, and cost. However, a larger battery also adds to the weight and cost of a vehicle. As a result a low end Model 3 costs about the same as the Honda Clarity Touring PHEV (before tax credits) and weighs about the same. For most of my driving, my Clarity is effectively an EV as most of my daily trips are under 50 miles. It is also the most reliable car I have ever owned. Every 1,000 miles or so I do have to buy 3 or 4 gallons of gasoline.

markc and Robert_Alabama like this.
  5. S L .

S L . Active Member

Every person’s needs are different. Plug in hybrid works for my situation. Less than 50 mi per day, I’m all electric on my daily commute. I can also use the car for road trips.

Last dec, went to vegas, the road back to Los angeles was closed due to snow. I had to take a 5 hour detour through arizona. I did not worry because i have a plug in hybrid.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

bwilson4web likes this.
  6. S L .

S L . Active Member

Btw, without the road trips, i gassed up after 6,000 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. ITown

ITown Active Member

I think REx is good simply because it can give someone the confidence that they can escape being stranded when in a pinch. With that said, I don't believe they are the direction automakers should be moving in at this point (Nissan in particular).

The nice thing about REx over PHEV is that people will at least get the benefits of an EV (instant torque) - which will lead them to be more interested in getting an EV in the future.

bwilson4web likes this.
  9. Pooky

Pooky Active Member

Obligatory "everyone's needs are different." A long range Tesla might be out of some people's budget, and a Chevy Bolt might not offer enough comfort for a daily commuter. It's easy to say "just buy a Model 3," but it's too much to ask for a $40k electric car when I could easily commuting within EV range of a EREV/PHEV and travelling interstate several times per year in a car half the price.

That being said, EREVs are not the future. They are a stepping stone of today not only for existing car makers, but also for training would-be EV drivers. This new decade will undoubtedly offer more affordable EVs with 350+ miles of range, and more importantly a stronger fast-charging network across North America. With infrastructure density and if manufacturers are willing to settle on a single standard for charging connectors, BEVs will thrive.

(Also let's not forget the potential of FCEV technology ;) )