Reverse

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by jdonalds, Jun 27, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

Does anyone know how the Clarity does reverse? Does the traction motor run backward?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ab13

ab13 Active Member

I believe the motor runs backwards, which is how most all ev drive vehicles work.

4. Timothy

Timothy Active Member

Would this mean in theory that the Clarity could drive as fast backwards as forwards in EV mode? I don't plan to test this out.

5. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

Testing this is a very bad idea, for the record VTEC will engage on the b16a2 in reverse...

6. Viking79

Viking79 Well-Known Member

It is possible, but they can be asymmetric in operation. It might only be half speed in reverse, depending on motor/speed controller design. I really don't know, design time decision. My hunch is Honda has an electronic limiter for reverse. I am not going to test it to find out ;)

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

It rocketed up to 25 mph in reverse just like in D with no sign of letting up in an empty parking lot. :)

Pegsie and Robin like this.
  9. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

Lift off oversteer with front wheel drive and “rear” steering is a force to be reckoned with.

10. Robin

Robin Member

Geez. Someone had to try it.

Akinto likes this.
  11. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

I was very careful not to make any large steering input as they are greatly exaggerated in reverse.
    Didn’t want to end up like movies of a race in France where little Renault cars race each other in reverse. If you can find the video, it’s quite comical to see them summersault around from a little too agressive steering. It might even have been on a figure 8 track. It was a long time ago.
    It did feel like it would have kept on going.

I did find this video of Dutch cars racing in reverse. Don’t try this with your Clarity!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Robin

Robin Member

I saw this at Disney MGM in Paris and then later in Orlando. Quite impressive.