Result of Your Exploding Battery Recall?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Toolworker, Nov 23, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

I had the recall done and they:

1. Didn't find any bad cells.

7 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. Found one or more bad cells.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Oops - I forgot to ask.

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. They wouldn't tell me.

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Just wondering how widespread the actual problem is.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. eastpole

eastpole Active Member

Is it fair to assume that if you got your car back in an hour or 2, they did not find any bad cells?

I actually don't think the dealerships are going to be replacing cells; if there are problems with the battery, they are going to swap the entire battery for a new one and let Hyundai sort out the problems / repurpose / recycle the defective unit.

Domenick likes this.
  4. I wouldn't make that assumption. They said the service would be 1 1/2 to 2 hours. I asked if it would be longer if they had to replace the battery and they said no, it wouldn't take long. I said oh, do you just replace the bad cells and they said yes.

But I wouldn't make the assumption that the service advisor knew what she was talking about either. :) Maybe someone who had bad cells can tell us.

Nevertheless, if you didn't ask, the right answer would be that you didn't ask. (That's why the poll lets you change your vote.) :)

eastpole likes this.
  5. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Active Member

I have no doubt that they would replace a "bad" cell if they found one. Problem is I'm not sure they can tell a cell that is going bad or one that was manufactured faulty. I am not satisfied that the "fix" really fixed anything. If they are prone to shorting, as we know they are, then it is just a matter of time. I am especially distraught at Hyundai and LG Chem not being able to pin point the problem. How can you fix a problem if you don't know what it is?

6. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

I monitor my cells on a regular basis, so I know that I don't have bad ones.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. eastpole

eastpole Active Member

Well said, but if we determine that a battery *OR* cell replacement takes more than a couple hours, and that they did that for some owners, I'm changing my answer back. :)

Toolworker likes this.
  9. mikeselectricstuff

mikeselectricstuff Active Member

1=2 hours is only for a software update. I would be extremely surprised if dealers would do anything more than replace the whole battery, and even then a lot of them won't have the handling gear to do it. They are also very unlikely to have a spare battery available there.
    I know in the UK Hyundai do battery cell replacements centrally at one location.

syntaxfx likes this.
  10. You can check on individual battery health yourself with an OBD2 adapter and an app such as Torque pro. There are various apps and all of them read the same information that the Hyundai mechanics check.

syntaxfx likes this.
  11. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

That's what I'm now doing. I really only charge 1-2 times per month. But when I top off, I check using an OBD2 adapter & SOUL EV SPY app (which shows all the cells without the effort to set it up using Torque Pro.)

eastpole and Domenick like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.