Removing panel(s) to access cabin air filters?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by GvilleGuy, Jul 7, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

Have any of you DIYers managed to access the cabin air filters yet? They appear to be the twin filters used in the BMW i3. I was buying cabin filters for my other cars and decided to go ahead and grab a pair of filters for the Mini, even though I won’t need them for a long time. I wanted to go ahead and access my filters to make sure I bought the right kind, but I’m stumped on getting access to it.

According to recent F56 videos I found on YouTube, the access point is the left hand foot panel on the passenger side, which also has a foot light attached to it, so you have to be careful when you pop the panel loose. There is one T20 torx screw holding that panel in place - label “A” in the photos. I removed that and could pull the panel partially out, but the upper panel above it seems to be in the way. I did not see this upper panel in any of the videos I found.

The upper panel appears to be a u-shaped hinged panel with two T20 screws toward the front and two hinges (I think) toward the back. I removed those two screws, and the right side immediately hung loose - label “C”. But the left side of that panel - label “B” - is where the panel will not come loose. It is stuck and I don’t want to pull too hard on it.

628EFAD8-9812-4918-B880-9EE31EF3E52E.jpeg

BFB6120F-A8CE-4B29-8222-E7733C28E036.jpeg

BAFC5A09-E182-4F0D-8247-73EE6EA9D514.jpeg

2. To remove this ad click here.