Relative charging rates

Discussion in 'e-tron' started by bwilson4web, Sep 3, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Independent of kWh/100 mi, my Model 3 Tesla and the Audi e-tron have different charging curves:
    [​IMG]
    Standard Range Plus Model 3:
    [​IMG]
    The charging characteristics determine what is the best strategy for long distance travel:
    • e-tron - start with 100% and drive until the SOC reaches ~25% and charge. Then stop charging when it reaches ~85%, about 37-17 ~= 20 minutes later, and back on the road.
    • Std. Rng. Plus Model 3 - start with 100% and drive as far as possible to the furtherest SuperCharger. Charge long enough to add a reserve range, ~30 miles, to the next SuperCharger which is typically ~20 minutes and back on the road.
    As for charge consumption, kWh/100 mi, which in the EPA test cycle occurs at ~63 mph:
    • 46 kWh/100 mi - e-tron
    • 25 kWh/100 mi - Std. Rng. Plus Model 3
    Bob Wilson

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. David Green

David Green Well-Known Member

E-Tron real charging rate.... BOB, quit posting fake charts...

4. bwilson4web

In contrast, you are too lazy and unethical to post your own chart citing the source. For example:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bob Wilson

5. David Green

So you call me lazy (maybe true) but unethical? hmmm, I posted my source in that video, and Bjorn Nyland is a very trustworthy source, who has no axe to grind on any EV. The rates i see in my own E-Tron are similar to Bjorn's video its about 30 minutes from 10-90% SOC adding about 200 miles of indicated range. My car is now showing 237 miles at full charge, as the car calculates off of your past consumption, as a matter of fact the only drives we have seen consumption close to or over 400 wh/mi is short trips to the store, or less than 10 miles. I think Audi intentionally de-rated the range with their EPA testing to make sure customers remain happy in all weather conditions.

6. Bob, I couldn't get the YouTube URL to work. In future, it's probably better to post the actual link.

David, it would have been helpful for others perusing the thread to post a screenshot from the video (along with the video, if you like) of the chart which you says offers a different data set.

Everyone: please be nice to each other. Thanks!

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. bwilson4web

Here it is:

I'm not sure what is wrong with the text URL in JPG. They sure look a lot alike. I just opened my spreadsheet where I made the chart and cut-and-pasted the URL text into a browser.

Bob Wilson

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    Domenick likes this.
  9. David Green

I am not sure how these clowns got the E-Tron to start charging so slow, but I am guessing the car had a problem, and considering the video was published in February, Winter, (car showing -1.5C, so 28 degrees F) the battery could have been very cold when charging started and it took it a few minutes to get going... My car has never started below 138kW, and never charged below that level until after 70 % SOC, it's much faster charging than a Model 3 SR+ at any level.