Regen Keeps Resetting

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Bruce M., Jan 16, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

I've had my Kona almost 3 years, and I pretty quickly decided I like to keep the Regen set on 3, except in very special circumstances. So I set at 3 and have almost never had to touch it in two and a half years. Now, all of a sudden, whenever I start the car I find that the Regen has reset it self to 1. Resetting it manually works, but only till I turn the car off. When I restart, it's back at 1. I looked in the manual and couldn't find anything helpful -- the section on Regen doesn't seem to even say whether settings are intended to remain set unless changed, as I had been experiencing.

Am I missing something? Am I losing my mind?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. The selected regen should be retained until manually changed.
    On occasion (perhaps once a year) I have had the regen reset itself after charging. Also, I have had a change after accidentally tapping one of the paddles.
    Not sure why in this case the memory is completely failing. Not trying to cast any blame, but how is your 12V battery holding up, it has been known to cause stupid errors in various formats... this possibly could be another.

4. Bruce M.

I've seen no sign of any other issues with the 12V battery. I only have a bit over 12,000 miles on the thing so it doesn't seem like it should be failing so soon. The car was just in for service -- basically just an inspection-- and all checked out okay. The problem started about two weeks later and seems to happen every time, not just after charging. It's not the end of the world to reset it when I start driving, but it's annoying.

5. This could alone cause a depletion in the12V battery SOC, especially if any updates were applied, they might have been done while the car was shut off as some require this and actually call for a remote 12V supply to be administered during the procedure which may not have been done. Some may take 20 minutes or more.
    I always try make sure my 12V battery is in the best of health before taking it to the dealer for scheduled or otherwise service by applying Utility mode for at least 2H beforehand.
    If resting voltage is little low (say ~12V instead of 12.6) you are well within recovery range utilizing Utility mode recharging

Last edited: Jan 16, 2023
  6. From the earliest owner's manual. I have no idea why it would suddenly act differently.
    upload_2023-1-17_17-30-24.png

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I've had this with my Kona when the drive mode changes. I like to keep it on Eco but every now and then I discover it has set itself to Normal or, more rarely, Sport and it changes the regen setting according to those choices. I'm not sure if this is a Kona quirk or if I'm accidentally hitting the button on the centre console.

9. Genevamech

Genevamech Active Member

You can set a default regen level for each drive mode (can't default to 0 though). The car will revert to the set default every startup. It's possible that the default got reset somehow, so that's the first thing I'd check.

10. Bruce M.

This may have been it. I didn't think about it because I definitely did not intentionally reset anything. I have now reset the default for Normal, which I usually drive in, to 3 instead of 1. We'll see if it stays that way tomorrow!

11. Bruce M.

Problem seems to be fixed, thanks to Genevamech's reminder. I hadn't thought about setting the default since I first got the car, and when I went looking for info in the owner's manual I couldn't find it. That was because the relevant info isn't in the main manual, but in the separate manual covering the infotainment system -- not a place one would expect to look for information on EV drive modes and regen. All is well, but this did remind me of my original impression that the Kona has literally the worst-organized owner's manual I have ever encountered.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

I would have wished for a default = 0 setting, but yanking the right paddle after startup is muscle-memory by now.

_H*

14. Maybe try using this "manual reset" method if it occurs again:
    [​IMG]:D

insightman, KiwiME and Ferenc Jakab like this.
  15. Bruce M.

By weird coincidence, I got an alert of a new post in this thread just as the problem recurred. I checked, and the default regen setting for Normal driving mode had reverted to 1, for no obvious reason. It had worked fine for months, then this morning, after about a 30 mile drive followed by parking for roughly an hour and a half before heading back, it reset itself. No charging or service visit or anything out of the ordinary.

16. Bruce M.

And resetting the default "Normal" regen setting to 3 seems to have worked. We'll see how long it lasts. This is one of several minor but annoying electronic gremlins the car has every few months.

17. AlkiP0Ps

AlkiP0Ps New Member

Thanks for this thread. Mine started behaving the same as yours after the last service. At least now I know how to fix it.
    Now I just need to find out how to keep Lane Keeping Assistance off, instead of having to disable it every time. It's uselessly annoying in my inner-city locale.

18. No good news on that one. Pisses me off too.