Recommended cabin air filter

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Robert_Alabama, Dec 8, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

I'm coming up on 3 yrs 6 months, 29k miles and cabin air filter hasn't been changed. The dealer has looked at it a couple of times and said so far it hasn't needed to be changed. I'm sure that clock is running out and it would save me a good bit to change it myself over letting them do it. Does anyone have a recommendation on cabin air filter to purchase?

I found these two for a first choice:

https://www.amazon.com/AirTechnik-Activated-2018-2021-2017-2020-2018-2020/dp/B08X95TJBY

https://www.newegg.com/tyc-800216p-cabin-air-filter/p/N82E16889537008

Any real preferences for activated carbon over standard?
    Thanks in advance.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

There's this old thread about cabin filters. I put a Fram Fresh Breeze cabin air filter in my Clarity and it seems fine, but maybe there are better ones.

4. JFon101231

JFon101231 Active Member

Honestly I don't think it really matters...

5. gedwin

gedwin Member

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. Groves Cooke

Groves Cooke Active Member

I bought mine a NAPA. Takes less than 10 min to change it.

8. The carbon in the filter qualifies as a form of sequestration. It will add one small leaf to your eco-score.

9. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

Thank y'all and wish everyone safe and happy holiday season!

10. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

I try and change mine annually since I live in a fairly dusty environment. I buy whatever I find on sale on Amazon that fits. The filter element is crazy easy to change in the Clarity, unlike my wife's Cherokee which involves removing a center console trim piece. Almost as hard as a Tesla, but not quite.

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

Just a word of caution:

I agree that the filter is "crazy easy" to change, but...

The support that prevents the glove box from opening too far is a little tricky to disconnect. If you know exactly what to do, it is easy. I did it the first time OK, but a year later when went to do it again, I had forgotten the 'trick' and I got a little too aggressive (angry?) because I perceived it was being uncooperative! I yanked the thing too hard (apparently in the wrong direction) and I broke it. Everything is plastic and vulnerable to breaking.

Just don't get carried away yanking on it. If it is being uncooperative, you are probably doing something wrong!

13. Dean Chao

Dean Chao New Member

I've used fram, epauto, tyc and perhaps other brands for my cars. I just get whatever's cheapest with 4+ stars on amazon. I think what's also important is changing it regularly. I do it once a year

Mowcowbell likes this.
  14. TomL

TomL Active Member

FWIW, your posting reminded me to check my cabin filter and I found another large mouse nest. In my urgency to replace it I went to NAPA, but not in stock. Went to Advance Auto Parts, they had one for $26. Later I looked on line and found the same filter ranging from $5.83 to $8.

15. zman0900

zman0900 New Member

I bought a proper HEPA filter from O'Reilly a few months back and it seems to be working good. Was about $15 or $20 if I remember right.

16. Groves Cooke

There is a good youtube video to show how to do this.

17. Groves Cooke

Check for You Tube video. It is short and makes this an easy task.