Recommended 12V Jump start backup for Clarity?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Robert_Alabama, Jul 1, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

Based on the number of posts about the 12V battery, it has finally dawned on me that when the 12V battery gives up the ghost that it WILL strand you assuming you aren't in your garage when it happens. This is somewhat unique to PHEVs like ours since you can tell when a 12V is getting weak (from the sound of the slow/struggling starter) when starting an ICE so you generally get a warning. Given that this is probably a reasonably wise investment, what is general recommendation for best option? Obviously I like cheap and compact, but I'm sure some here are proud of what they bought and would like make a recommendation. Easy purchase from Amazon is a plus.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Boston_Pilot

Boston_Pilot Active Member

I use https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CZ1K73X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It addresses another shortcoming, which is no tire pressure monitor. Super easy.

neal adkins and Robert_Alabama like this.
  4. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

There are a lot of the small jump battery options. I use one for my boat incase the boat battery fails or isn't charged. It is light enough and small enough that I keep it in my boat bag along with required papers and other things.

This is similar to the one I have. Anker is a good brand name.

https://www.amazon.com/Starter-12800mAh-Portable-Engines-Battery/dp/B07NPL6MJP/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=WF9JOH1RQUWY&dchild=1&keywords=anker+jump+starter&qid=1625166319&sprefix=anker+jump%2Caps%2C254&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzS05QOVFROU9PSzRIJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjAyODQyMUJINkRaR1NIUTJJWiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUExMDE4NDEwM08yWVNUWFJKV080QiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Robert_Alabama likes this.
  5. jorgie393

jorgie393 Well-Known Member

I’ve used this multiple times (don’t ask). Very happy with it. Also used to help other stranded motorists.

I’m not actually sure they sell one as wimpy as this, but the 800 amp version is more than enough. I think the minimum gooloo has now is 1200 amps. (Allegedly). Point is that even the lowest-amperage one works fine.

GOOLOO 800A Peak 18000mAh SuperSafe Car Jump Starter with USB Quick Charge 3.0 (Up to... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0748D8KT6/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apip_ssYKLR2C3Zw2U

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

6. I carry a Noco GB40 in the Clarity. It is overkill as it will start the 3.0l diesel in the Jeep and the 6.0l gas V-8 in the pickup truck. It was $20 more ($99 v $79) that the GB20, which might not start either if the other vehicles. It also might help out someone else.

Probably, just about anything available would get the Clarity going. And, realistically, it might only get used once or twice. So, an industrial strength device isn’t necessary. I don’t typically make a habit of getting something that can just barely do the job.

Keep in mind, also, that Honda advises connecting the negative cable from the booster battery to the “power system mounting bolt” rather than the negative post of the battery in the vehicle. This bolt is about 2’ from the battery and most of these jump packs will not have cables of sufficient length the reach the bolt.

In all likelihood, I would suspect that at least one of us has connected the jump pack directly to the battery terminals without incident.

Let us know what you get.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

Link does not work...

9. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

MrFixit likes this.
  10. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

I like your choice, and this will be more than adequate to jump the Clarity.

In my view, the only possible issue with a "really cheap" unit would be the quality.
    It is impossible to gauge the quality, and paying more money does nothing to insure better quality... All of these are made in China.

If it fails, like you say, you throw it away and buy another one. Ideally, you will never have an occasion to use it !

BrianRC likes this.
  11. To remove this ad click here.

12. I have a couple of these in two different vehicles. The one I bought a few months ago on sale for $50 when I got my 2020 Clarity was https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L5HPVJZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I agree with MrFixit's comment above. The lower amped units are more than adequate to jump the 12 volt battery in the Clarity. So read the reviews on Amazon but no need to spend more than $50. Also, I am impressed with how well these devices hold a charge. Leave them in your trunk for a year and they might still be holding 90% of a full charge. Having been stranded twice by a 12V battery failure in the Clarity, keeping one of these chargers in the trunk is a no brainer.

13. RickSE

RickSE Active Member

I have a Type S from Costco for $50. I’ve used it a time or three when I’ve left my aftermarket fog lights on overnight. It holds a charge for ~3 months so I just have a calendar reminder to top it off ever once in a while. Doesn’t take much to “jump” a clarity so I’d bet any cheap jump kit will do.

F7FE5D18-B4B9-4C75-A7FC-709CA1DD0CD0.jpeg

Vic and Mowcowbell like this.