Receptacle adapters / options for flex charger

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by moncureww, May 27, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. moncureww

moncureww Active Member

I have a 14-30 receptacle for my dryer in my house, and I hear the flex charger on the ‘23s has a 14-50 plug.

I’m going to buy a splitter switch down the road (splitvolt maybe) but are there adapters that people have used that would allow me to use my flex charger here?

Has anyone had an experience with a split system on the dryer receptacle? And I know it’s only a 30 amp circuit so that means it’s only 24a charging. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My SE will be at the house in 10 days and I wanna be ready.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Torrey

Torrey Active Member

BMW makes a 14-30 adapter for the flex charger. In the manual it says for level two charging the only options are 32A or 16A. But possible if you use the 14-30 adapter it will pull 24A at the 32A settings.

moncureww likes this.
  4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

But will just that adapter cost as much as another manufacturer's EVSE?

moncureww likes this.
  5. moncureww

moncureww Active Member

I think I have my situation sorted.

When I bought the car, I ordered a Grizzl-e charger - I was on the cusp of 2022s and 2023s and there was no flex charger option, and for anything faster than super slow trickle charging there was no option at the time other than buying an EVSE. I'm glad I did. I can manually set the Grizzl-e (it has DIP switches inside the case to run it at 16/24/32/40) to 24a and run it off the dryer circuit/receptacle with a 14-50 to 14-30 adapter / splitter.

For my second charging location (my parents' home, 60 miles away, where I go take my kids to visit the grandparents, etc), I'll just have an electrician run conduit to a 14-50 from the 200a main panel so I can plug in the BMW flexible charger. Problem solved, and faster charging when I am making day trips to visit the family.

Last edited: May 28, 2022
    GetOffYourGas likes this.