Recent 'radio silence'

Discussion in 'i3' started by bwilson4web, Jul 11, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

I have been buying a 2017 BMW i3-REx and reduced postings (i.e., 'radio silence'.) Now that the wire payment is being 'telegraphed' to the seller, I can explain.

Background, a 2014 BMW i3-REx was my EV gateway drug. This serial-hybrid is an electric car that carries an efficient, built-in, generator that works even at 70 mph. Parallel-hybrids have a mechanical transmission connecting the ICE to the drive wheels like the 2017 Prius Prime. One has just a generator and the other a transmission and generator.

I am buying (payment sent, bought?) a used, 2017 BMW i3-REx to replace the original 2014 BMW:
    • $15,440 versus $14,500 repurchase price
    • 27 kWh battery versus 18 kWh
    • 7th of 8 year battery warranty versus expired battery warranty
    • 54,000 miles versus ~68,000 mi
    • new tires, dealer prep versus 'time to replace' tires
    • both have 2" receiver hitch
    • pay State purchase taxes and fees and 'hippy tax' registration
    An Internet search found about half a dozen, 2017-2018 BMW i3-REx for various higher prices and hundreds of miles way. This one was the least expensive, $15,440 and 850 miles, 15 hours drive, ~$78.60 away. I just got back from inspecting and signing the papers:
    [​IMG]
    • All windows tinted black
    • Has 2" receiver hitch
    • Missing portable charger and tire 'goop' kit
    The battery was near zero but had enough charge to start the REx. So after two hours on a 6.2 kW charger:
    [​IMG]
    • 24 mi indicated EV range at just under 25% SOC, 24%(?)
      • ~100 mi EV range - 24 mi / 24%
      • 86% battery degradation - 100 mi / 116 mi per Wiki
    • Battery warranty 8 years to 70%
      • one year left on warranty
      • battery meets my expectations and REx works
    Once the seller reports they want to give me the keys and paper work, I'll find 'cheap' transportation and drive back. In addition to an overnight bag, I will bring a dual-voltage, 120-240 VAC, settable current, 8, 12, 30 amp, portable charger along with a NEMA 5-15 to NEMA 14-50 AC adapter. I'll also bring (or buy there) 12 V, air pump and sticky string tire plug kit.

From Huntsville, I have these options:
    • cheap flight - $187
    • one way rental car - $192
      • 34 gal = 850 mi / 25 MPG
      • $90 rental one-way plus $102 gas ($3/gal)
    Questions?

Domenick and insightman like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

My deal:
    [​IMG]

I got confirmation they got the money so the car is mine. BTW, I measured the expected battery range at the dealer, 100 miles.

Bob Wilson