Recent Autoline Daily

Discussion in 'i3' started by bwilson4web, Aug 4, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Source: http://www.autoline.tv/daily/?p=82979#more-82979

BMW BLAMES SUPPLY ISSUES ON FIRST HALF SALES DROP
    BMW reported its first half earnings and the results are pretty solid. The automaker sold 1.16 million vehicles in the first half of the year, including MINI and Rolls-Royce, which is down 13.4% compared to last year. BMW blames the chip shortage and supply chain disruptions caused by COVID lockdowns in China for the sales drop. But there was one bright spot for BMW, electric vehicles. It sold nearly 76,000 BEVs, which is more than double compared to last year. And despite posting overall weaker sales, its revenue hit nearly 66 billion euros, a gain of nearly 20% over last year and its net profit of 13.2 billion euros is up a whopping 73%. But BMW expects the second half of the year to remain volatile and says supply chain issues will continue and as a result sales will likely be lower than last year.

So I added this comment:

“(BMW) is down 13.4% compared to last year … sold nearly 76,000 BEVs, which is more than double compared to last year. ” The irony is BMW closing down the electric/PHEV i3 earlier this year.

The I3 addressed 2013 traction battery weight with a brilliant carbon fiber body on an aluminum frame. BMW failed to expand the BMW i3 with a five seater and a microbus and failed to ride the traction battery cost savings. IMHO, BMW reverted to legacy ICE engineering (see BMW I8) instead of empowering their brilliant, i3, EV team.

Bob Wilson

2. To remove this ad click here.