Recall 196 now shows on US Hyundai Recall website..

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by FloridaSun, Oct 15, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

I queried my VIN and there is a battery repair recall now for my VIN..

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Nothing on the Canada website for mine ... yet
    Note: this is using Hyundai's recall website.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    Jamcan39 likes this.
  4. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

Screenshot_20201015-162422_Chrome.jpg

5. UPDATE for Canadians:
    Transport Canada now lists the recall #2020-477
    https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/VRDB-BDRV/search-recherche/detail.aspx?lang=eng,eng&mk=3759!39386&mkName=HYUNDAI&md=KONA EV&fy=0&ty=9999&ft=&ls=0&sy=0&syName=All Systems&all=0&rn=2020477&cf=SearchResult&pg=0
    Issue:
    "On certain vehicles, there could be problems with the high voltage battery that cannot be detected by the battery management system (BMS).
    As a result , the high voltage battery could short circuit after it is fully charged."
    Safety Risk:
    "A short circuit in the battery could cause a fire."
    Corrective Actions:
    "Hyundai will notify owners by mail and instruct you to take your vehicle to a dealer for inspection. The high voltage battery will be replaced, if necessary. The dealer will also update the BMS software to better detect battery problems. Hyundai recommends that you should park your vehicle outdoors, and away from other vehicles or buildings until the recall repairs are completed."
    Well in my case I can park outside but not away from other vehicles or buildings at all times, so I guess I will be limiting my charge to 90%, until this is resolved. :(
    Note the Hyundai link still shows no recalls

ehatch, Jamcan39, Domenick and 3 others like this.
  6. Interesting , I have to wonder what the inspection process entails, surely they are not going to crack her open and have a look see?

Sent from my SM-G955W using Inside EVs mobile app

KiwiME likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Maple

Maple Member

Strange reason-BMS could not detect battery when battery full charged then caused short circuit. How this can cause short circuit? Over charge causes battery short circuit? If this is the reason the problem is not on battery it is BMS software problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

9. According to this website my VIN is not affected. :) Hope it turns out to be true.

John McLellan likes this.
  10. It is possible the Canadian Hyundai website does not indicate a recall for one of two reasons:
    (1) behind in their postings
    (2) Hyundai is aware my Kona EV had the Campaign 960 done (which is probably the BMS update required in the recall) and has passed battery inspection for cell deviation and insulation resistance. If this is the case, a letter telling me that would be nice so I can sleep a little better, also have no fears about charging to 100% on occasion.

1st-KonaEV-in-FL likes this.
  11. I have an early build (Dec. 2018) so that might have something to do with it, at least according to the prevailing scuttlebutt. BTW I've also had the BMS update done.

electriceddy likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Took a bit of digging, but I found this post showing we received our cars within 2 days of each other:
    https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/taking-pre-orders-in-canada.2537/page-45#post-50722
    ...memories:D
    So my guess is what becomes applicable to your car should be identical to mine (as far as battery manufacturing dates go)
    The label on mine says
    Part# 37501-K4050
    BMS ROM ID 6220
    Manufacture date 2018/12/21 (could possibly be installation date)
    This label can be found on the drivers side back of the battery pack, behind the rear suspension (unless snow/rain etc has taken it off)

14. For the moment I just think Hyundai's website is not updated.
    For the BMS update, it never showed there for me but I received a letter. Mine was built in Nov 2018, let's see what happens next.
    In the UK website there are people with appointments already so we should have more information soon

15. I truly hope that other than checking and potentially replacing the battery/cells, Hyundai doesn't pull something off like reducing the actual maximum usable capacity of the battery to "fix" this via a software update (as in ; make the 100% charge a "lower than before" 100% charge).

I'm in Canada ; nothing showing up for my VIN yet but 4375 vehicles affected (model year 2019 and 2020) this is probably a majority of the 2019-2020s...

16. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

That I doubt - if they did crack it open, what would they be looking for? The easiest thing is to check for cell groups that are unbalanced - they can do that with software (just like we do with TorquePro or SoulEVSpy). And there is a 2nd impedance check that they can also do to look for ground faults. Maybe something else??

17. Can they legally do this? Or can they do this and give a small compensation and we just have agree?

18. Are you in Canada? I can't recall such an early build date for other Canadian customers.

19. Hopefully not, I for one will be getting an OBD2 right away and monitoring battery stats moving forward and post recall/update. Call me paranoid but I don't know ; have a bad feeling about this one.

20. I am, I think I got the second car that came to Montreal

electriceddy and Wildeyed like this.
  21. Noting this is entirely speculative, the combination of multiple connection points of the cooling pipes inside the housing, green coolant in earlier models with what we understand to be some level of conductivity, and mostly the very, very low percentage of the events is intriguing.

I would imagine the quality control of the cell components by LG Chem is highly consistent, whether good or bad, and if there was a separator defect of some sort there would be far more cases because the quality scatter is tight by design. The chances of only 16 being a problem, or 16 outliers in 294 x 77,000 cells seems slim. Plus they would probably know about it from production quality samples taken over time and recorded.

Pipe connections on the other hand, some plastic-welded and others quick-disconnect may potentially have a less consistent scatter graph of whether a single leak occurs. In that situation, 16 in 77,000 seems less out of place.

4.jpg

1st-KonaEV-in-FL and Barry T like this.
  22. TRSmith

TRSmith Member

Does anyone know what the recall actually entails? Are the reports of reducing battery capacity via software true? Is it just an inspection of the pack?

My VIN showed the recall on the Hyundai website, but not in NHTSA's system, for whatever reason.

23. I guess that is the crux of the problem nobody really knows anything and Hyundai is not sharing. I kind of suspect vagueness from Hyundai is because they really don't have a great plan. In the end its all pure speculation. Call me jaded but I will just wait for some brave souls to be the first recall volunteers and report back before I consider letting them touch anything.

That is my concern exactly, what are they looking for? Unfortunately I don't think diagnostic software will find a manufacturing defect such as a cell separator that may catastrophically failure in the future or necessarily provide you sufficient warning until it actually happens, then again it might. I currently have little confidence in Hyundai's ability to do the right thing. I really hope they prove me wrong.

ehatch and 1st-KonaEV-in-FL like this.