Rear Window Washer Fluid Reservoir?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by David Comstock, Feb 18, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Hey everyone,

Is there a separate rear window washer fluid reservoir? Doesn't really say in the manual just has some obscure pic of the washer fluid reservoir for the front.

I ask because I can wash front windows just fine but the rear one doesn't seem to spray anything... I'm guessing because the reservoir is empty, but can't locate where it is to fill it up.

Thanks!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

The lonnnng tube must be blocked.

4. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

Or, if the reservoir has run low, it has become filled with air, and the pump isn't strong enough to push fluid through. If so, the trick is to reestablish the siphon effect, by forcing fluid backwards to displace the blockage.

Alternatively, it is possible that the one-way check valve (I assume that there is a check valve) has gotten stuck shut, in which case it is a matter of finding) removing/cleaning it.

One other possibility (and the easiest to fix): the nozzle itself may be clogged, which can be solved by inserting the end of a safety pin and wiggling it around.

5. Oye ok.. so items 1 & 2 require me to take the car to the dealer correct? I'll check #3.

6. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

Not necessarily. It really just depends on how accessible things are and how willing you are to give it a go yourself.

This thread is a good reminder to me that I shouldn't let the reservoir get/sit empty for long, or I might be doing more than just passing along old experience.

David Comstock likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

it is not unusual for check valves to go. The knock offs are around $5. When they go on a Volvo V8 the fluid leaks onto the alternator. Porsche/Audi over engineered the system on the 944 and put little clamps on them. They are not known for slipping off.

When you play with the safety pin, if you want to get rid of tailgaters, aim it straight out the back instead of down.

CuriousGeorge likes this.
  9. Qisl

Qisl Active Member

Where is the fluid ejector in the rear?